Humboldt County Aviation Advisory Committee
Agenda for 23 Jan 2001
Dave Zebo Conference Room
- Call to Order- 4:30 P.M. Dave Zebo Conference Room
- Roll Call Signatures, Parking ticket Signatures.
- Adjustment to Agenda (Action)
- Introduction of guest presenter: Gene Palsson, retired TWA 747 Captain, and
current distributor of Polysteel Forms in Northern Calif.
- Discussion of ASOS Commissioning on 8 Feb 01 and future development of the
ACV Airport FAA / Humboldt County interface for maximum flight safety for weather
reporting and pilot communications, and future air traffic growth.- Oral Report by Dan
Horton, airport manager, and others attending meeting.
- Report from 11 Jan 01 joint FAA / Humboldt County// National Weather, and
- Attendees to 11 Jan 01 meeting.
- Next Generation RVR (NGRVR) enhancements requested from FAA.
There are 120 RVR long line sites planned with 18 of 32 interim sites
installed--www.faa.gov/asos/asos.htm. We can get one soon if we
develop and build the airport support structures.
- Airport lighting frequencies for the 2 runways are different. Fail-safe
lights for approaching airplanes- avoid turnoff during approach.
- Additional ASOS observation ceilometers for discontinuity sky
conditions, and for backup to a failed sensor.
- Reliable power source for RVR
- Other concerns:
- Need for good communications with Airlines, local pilots.
- (others)- For completeness.
- Incoming: Request by Gene Palsson, to show demonstration tape on
Polysteel Form Construction.
- Letters to Ed Felipe, FAA Regional Office, Los Angeles regarding
Polysteel Construction of towers for RVR to be sent immediately
as soon as RVR engineering information is available. Copies to our
Planning Dept. through BOS.
- Request for showing 8 minute Polysteel Form tape to BOS, in
early Feb. as an item of information.
- Letter to owner and builder of a Polysteel Form home in
Westhaven, requesting Feb. Aviation Committee visitation, with
invitations to Public Works, BOS, and Planning Dept. Meet at
Airport, and transportation to residence with 16 passenger van at
- Public News- News Article from Newspaper on ASOS.
- Review of minutes of previous meetings: (Action):
- Approve as written, or additions and corrections:
- Consent Calendar --Reports: ( written )
- Chairman: None
- Airport Manager: None
- Director Public Works: None
- CAO: None
- Board of Supervisors: None
- Airport Master Plans: Part IV- Program Narrative, Master Plan Updates of June
21, 2000 for: Send to those Board Members Absent at 27 June 00 meeting.
Airport Manager to send with current agenda packet.
- Master Plan Consultant David B. Heal of Shutt Moen Associates will give insight
to the Wed 29 Nov opening meeting at Azalea Hall in McKinleyville for Eureka -Arcata and Kneeland Airports..
- Old Business:
- Status of Master Plan Development: When will the next public meeting be held,
and what input should this committee be gathering and working? Is it possible to
use the Avi8Cando annual meeting at River Lodge on Saturday, 17 Feb 01 as an
opportunity to have public input on all of the county airports. We are inviting
public non-pilot community members, and an afternoon or evening session could
be arranged.. This can be a separate session from our program, but we are already
renting the facility and will have a county wide audience.
- Deer incursions- update report by Dan Horton, Airport Manager.
- Evaluation Report on 1st Scheduled Master Plan Meeting of Wednesday 29 Nov
00 at Azalea Hall in McKinleyville, on Kneeland and ACV.
- Arcata- Eureka and Kneeland are the 1st Airports for Master Plan development.
Each Sub-committee Chairman will be asked to list and present their ideas for
Airport improvements for committee evaluation and prioritizing for the Master
Plan. Once prepared, these documents will be guidelines for future Master Plan
development. And they can then be presented to the BOS by the Advisory
Committee for reality checks on priority, public presentations and comments.
When completed, input will be presented in writing for the Public Works, CAO,
and then to the BOS. Public opinion, can be gathered at Master Plan Meeting
Programs, through written questions and answers developed by Dr. McCrone's
sub-committee. Comments? Please be prepared to list the most important ones at
our committee meeting, as a place to start.
- Committee Referral: Work matrix for sub-committee: Each sub-committee
to read the Update and begin plans for division of the Master Plan work
effort. Sub-committees may use non-committee expertise and meet
separately from the Advisory Committee in preparing for Advisory
Committee and other public input meetings.
- Speakers for Service Clubs- Special Presentations by Committee
Members/ New Airport Manager. Need to Prepare Notebook Presentations
- New Airports Manager- to prepare for Website/ Computer Document
Storage and Retrieval for public access, and Committee work. Progress
- Airports Website: Airport Master Plan Materials will be formatted
for web page inclusion.
- New Business:
- New Nominations for Officers of Humboldt County Airport Advisory Committee
for Feb 2001. Election to be held on 23 Jan 2001.
- Chairman: Jack Limmer
- V. Chair: George Jutila
- Sec: Dave Ravetti
- Committee Chairs: Remain the Same?
- Public Comments:
- Date of Next Meetings: Tues 27 Feb 2001 (any Conflicts with Special Dates / Events ?)
- Public meeting # 2 on Eureka-Arcata and Kneeland- time and place.j
- Attendance at this meeting
- Committee Attendees:
- Public Attendees: