BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
TUESDAY, MARCH 20, 2001
Humboldt County Courthouse
Supervisors' Chambers, First Floor
825 Fifth Street, Eureka
Matters under the jurisdiction of the Board, and not on agenda, may be addressed by the public at the time provided in the agenda under Public Appearances. The Board may hold Closed Sessions as the agenda schedule permits.
A. SALUTE TO THE FLAG
B. AGENDA ADDITIONS AND/OR DELETIONS
C. CONSENT CALENDAR
These matters are routine in nature and are usually approved by a single vote. Prior to the meeting, any member of the public may request any member of the Board to pull a particular item for further discussion.
Board of Supervisors
1. Subject: Annual Redwood Region Logging Conference--March 22-24, 2001 (Supervisor Woolley)
Recommendation: Adopt resolution urging citizens to attend conference at Redwood Acres.
2. Subject: Declaring March 2001 as Social Services Worker Appreciation Month (Supervisor Woolley)
Recommendation: Reschedule for the meeting of March 27, 2001.
3. Subject: Honoring Designation of Highway 96 Corridor as Bigfoot Scenic Byway (Supervisor Kirk)
Recommendation: Adopt proclamation for special day of celebration on April 1, 2001.
Clerk of the Board
4. Subject: Appointment of Non-Elderly Tenant to the Humboldt County Housing Authority
Recommendation: Appoint Cynthia Clark with term to expire on June 30, 2002.
County Administrative Office
5. Subject: Funding Assistance for Counties from Senator Chesbro and Assemblyperson Strom-Martin
Recommendation: Send letter to said legislative representatives.
6. Subject: Amendment to Cost-Reimbursement Subagreement--Redwood Community Action Agency
Recommendation: Approve second amendment to extend the contract through June 30, 2001.
Health & Human Services--Mental Health
7. Subject: Amendment to Combined Net -Negotiated-Amount/Drug Medi-Cal Contract
Recommendation: Amend contract to increase encumbered funds by $222,119.
8. Subject: Agreement for Inpatient Services Delivered by Humboldt County--Fiscal Year 1999-2000
Recommendation: Approve agreement with Del Norte County.
Health & Human Services--Public Health
9. Subject: Women, Infants, and Children Contract with the State Department of Health Services
Recommendation: Amend contract for increased funding and adjustment in caseload.
Health & Human Services--Social Services
10. Subject: Appointments to the Child Welfare Oversight Committee
Recommendation: Appoint L. A. Lanning, K. Lofts-Jarboe, J. Wightman (alt.), J. Sloma, and S. Smith.
11. Subject: Consultant Agreement for Implementation of an Integrated and Comprehensive County Health and Human Services System Pursuant to Assembly Bill 1259
Recommendation: Approve agreement with Cathy Prebor.
12. Subject: Purchase, Maintain, and Operate Live Scan (Fingerprinting Equipment)
Recommendation: Approve supplemental budget of $52,261.
13. Subject: Supplemental Budgets in Unit 515 (Title IV E Waiver) and 518 (Foster Care)
Recommendation: Approve supplemental budgets.
C. CONSENT CALENDAR (Continued)
14. Subject: Authorizing Development of an Agreement for Access to DMV Databases
Recommendation: Approve concept of contracting with Health and Human Services Data Center.
15. Subject: Supplemental Budget ($72,000) to Meet Costs for Minors Placed in Camps and the California Youth Authority and to Cover Office Equipment Expenditures
Recommendation: Approve supplemental budget.
16. Subject: Construction of Ramp Extension and Taxiway "A" Overlay at Arcata-Eureka Airport
Recommendation: Approve plans and specifications, and hold bid opening on April 24, 2001.
17. Subject: Additions and Extensions to the County-Maintained Road System
Recommendation: Approve additions and extensions by adopting Resolution No. 01-__.
18. Subject: Agreement to Reimburse the County for Law Enforcement Services
Recommendation: Approve agreement with the City of Trinidad.
D. PUBLIC APPEARANCES--9:05 A.M.
This 15-minute portion of the meeting is reserved for persons desiring to address the Board on any matter not on this agenda that is under the jurisdiction of the Board. Please sign sheet in back of the Chambers by 9:00 a.m.
E. SPECIAL PRESENTATIONS
1. Subject: Commendations of Sponsors of the 2001 Redwood Coast Dixieland Jazz Festival and Proclamation Declaring March 2001 as Jazz Festival Appreciation Month (Supervisor Neely)
Recommendation: Adopt proclamation, and approve commendations.
F. DEPARTMENT REPORTS
1. Subject: Change Orders Over $10,000 on Public Works Projects (if required)
Recommendation: Approve change orders as recommended by Public Works.
2. Subject: Advertisement or Award of Public Works Projects (if required)
Recommendation: Award contract for Healthy Moms facility, Project No. 431000.
Community Development Services
3. Subject: Revision of Eureka Quimby Act Schedule to Include Funding for Redwood Fields, and Initial Disbursement of Funds
Recommendation: Approve revision and agreement with Field Committee, Inc.
Clerk of the Board
4. Subject: Appointment of Fourth Supervisorial District Representative to Human Rights Commission
Recommendation: Appoint one member from the list of three applicants.
G. MATTERS INITIATED BY BOARD MEMBERS
1. Subject: Reports on Board Member Travel at County Cost and Meeting Attendance
Recommendation: Receive oral reports, and take appropriate action (if required).
2. Subject: Potential or Proposed Big Box Retail Development in Humboldt County
Recommendation: Take appropriate action (if required).
H. MATTERS SET FOR TIME CERTAIN (Times Stated are Approximate)
9:45 a.m.--Supervisor Smith
1. Subject: Presentation on the Lost Coast Headlands Feasibility Study
Recommendation: Hear presentation from Bureau of Land Management, and take appropriate action.
10:15 a.m.--Supervisor Kirk
2. Subject: Report from Lou Woltering, Supervisor for the Six Rivers National Forest
Recommendation: Hear report on President's Forest Service Fire Plan, and take appropriate action.
10:45 a.m.--Supervisor Neely
3. Subject: From Job Training Partnership Act to Workforce Investment Act
Recommendation: Hear presentation on highlight of changes for youth programs.
11:30 a.m.--Supervisor Woolley
4. Subject: Human Rights Commission's Neutral Observer Program
Recommendation: Support Senate Bill 381 (Chesbro), and direct staff and the Human Rights Commission to prepare a program for neutral observers for the review of County Counsel.
I. CLOSED SESSION
1. Report from Prior Closed Session (if required)
2. Pursuant to Govt. Code Sect. 54957.6. Review the County's Position, and Instruct its Designated Representatives with Respect to the Various Forms of Compensation Provided to the County's Represented and Unrepresented Employees (if required)
3. Report on Pending or Threatened Litigation Pursuant to Govt. Code Section 54956.9 (if required)
4. Conference with Legal Counsel; Existing Litigation Pursuant to Government Code Section 54956.9(a). People v. Giauque. Humboldt Superior Court. Case No. CR9947575
J. PUBLIC HEARINGS--1:30 P.M.
Community Development Services
1. Subject: Resolution Approving an Application and Contract Execution for Funding from General Allocation of State Community Development Block Grant Program and Authorizing Execution of Grant Agreement and Any Amendments Thereto with State for Purposes of Grant
Recommendation: Adopt Resolution No. 01-__.
K. DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC WORKS
1. Subject: Five-Year Road and Bridge Capital Improvement Plan
Recommendation: Review report, make any adjustments, and approve project priority list.