HUMBOLDT COUNTY COURTHOUSE
SUPERVISORSí CHAMBER, FIRST FLOOR
825 FIFTH STREET
TUESDAY, OCTOBER 09, 2007
A. OPENING CEREMONIES
1. Salute to the Flag
2. Invocation by [invocator]
B. AGENDA ADDITIONS AND/OR DELETIONS
C. CONSENT CALENDAR
These matters are routine in nature and are usually approved by a single vote. Prior to the meeting, any member of the public may request any member of the Board to pull a particular item for further discussion.
Board of Supervisors
1. Proclamation Recognizing October, 2007 as Domestic Violence Awareness Month. (Supervisor Neely)
RECOMMENDATION: Ratify the Proclamation.
2. Letter of Support for Southern Humboldt Community Park's Request to the California River Parkways Grant Program to Acquire an Easement and Establish a River Parkway along the South Fork of the Eel River. (Supervisor Rodoni)
RECOMMENDATION: Ratify authorization for chair to sign letter of support.
RECOMMENDATION: Authorize Chair to sign letter of appreciation.
4. Letter to Reappoint Paula Arrowsmith-Jones to the Commission on the Status of Women. (Supervisor Neely)
RECOMMENDATION: Authorize reappointment.
RECOMMENDATION: Authorize appointment.
Clerk of the Board
RECOMMENDATION: That the Board of Supervisors approve the Board Order, and authorize the Clerk of the Board and the Board Chair, to sign the minute book in accordance with California Government Code Section 25103.
RECOMMENDATION: That the Board of Supervisors approve the reallocation of the 37.5 hour Legal Secretary I/II (salary range 259/80, class 0144, position 01) position currently occupied by Lisa Rinn in budget unit 246 to 40 hour Legal Secretary I/II (salary range272/93, class 1144) effective the beginning of the biweekly pay period following approval; Authorize the transfer of funds in the amount of $1,677.20 from 1100 990 2010, funds for contingencies, to 1100 246 1100, salaries and wages.
County Administrative Office
RECOMMENDATION: Direct the Clerk of the Board to schedule a public hearing on Tuesday, October 23, 2007, at 1:30 p.m. or soon thereafter, for consideration of adoption of an ordinance updating the Humboldt County Schedule of fees and Charges; Post and publish the required pre=adoption summary of the ordinance and public hearing notice for updating the Humboldt County Schedule of Fees and Charges at least ten (10) days prior to the public hearing; Have the data and documentation supporting the new fees for public review at least ten (10) days prior to the public hearing; Post a certified copy of the full text of the proposed ordinance in the office of the Clerk of the Board of Supervisors at least five (5) days prior to the Board meeting at which the ordinance will be adopted [Government Code Section 25124 (b)(1)]
Health and Human Services - Public Health Branch
RECOMMENDATION: That the Board of Supervisors approve Amendment A01 to Agreement Number 04-35888 with the California Department of Public Health; Authorize the Chair to execute the first page of the complete standard agreement amendment package and seven (7) additional copies.
RECOMMENDATION: That the Board of Supervisors approve increase of the vacant Supervising Public Health Nurse, (Salary range 432, class 0514, position # 001) in Budget Unit #460, Fund 1157 from .9 to 1.0 full time equivalent (FTE) effective immediately.
Health and Human Services - Social Services Branch
RECOMMENDATION: That the Board of Supervisors authorize the Director of the Department of Health and Human Services, Social Services Branch to send a letter, notifying Redwood Community Action Agency, that the County is exercising its option and extending the agreement for an additional two (2) year term.
RECOMMENDATION: That the Board of Supervisors authorize the Chairperson to sign the† Reaffirmation Memorandum pertaining to the Memorandum of the Agreement of Agreement Number G8480-02-0007, providing maintenance to Davison Road No. 4R400 on behalf of the County of Humboldt, in duplicate.
RECOMMENDATION: That the Board of Supervisors receive and file the bids for Construction of Storm Damage Repairs on Briceland Thorne Road (5A010) at P.M. 4.0.; Award the contract to Van Meter Logging in the amount of $153,192.25; Authorize the Chairman to execute the project agreement upon submittal of the appropriate bonds and insurance; Direct the Auditor-Controller to establish a new contract account 1200321-0217, and transfer $160,852 to the account.
RECOMMENDATION: That the Board of Supervisors direct the Clerk of the Board to return all bid proposals for Construction of Bridge over Indian Creek on Mattole Road (F3c010) at PM 10.0 due to lack of funds.
RECOMMENDATION: That the Board of Supervisors authorize the Director of Public Works to advertise and distribute the Request for Proposals (RFP) for geotechnical engineering studies on Bald Hills Road (County Road #F4R300).
RECOMMENDATION: That the Board of Supervisors delete the class of Public Works Business Manager from (salary range 402, class 0608) from the classification plan; Adopt the management class of Business Manager (Salary range 402, class 0608, unit 8) into the classification plan; Approve the reallocation of the vacant Public Works Business Manager position in budget unit 320, (salary range 402, class 0608, position #001) to the class of Business Manager (salary range 402, class 0608).
D. SPECIAL PRESENTATIONS
1. Resolution Recognizing October 13 - 21, 2007 as the 7th Annual Binational Health Week. (Supervisor Neely)
RECOMMENDATION: Adopt the Resolution.
RECOMMENDATION: Adopt the Proclamation
E. DEPARTMENT REPORTS
RECOMMENDATION: That the Board of Supervisors Introduce Ordinance No. ___ by title, waive the first reading thereof, and set the Ordinance for adoption at least one week away.
F. MATTERS INITIATED BY BOARD MEMBERS
1. Adopt Interim Zoning Ordinance suspending the entitlement to a building permit in lands zoned for timber production (TPZ) pursuant to Humboldt County Code Sections 314-7.4, (that allows one dwelling unit or manufactured home in timberland production zones) and 314-126.96.36.199, including subsections 6.1, 6.2, 6.3 (that allows one dwelling unit per twenty (20) acres in land zoned for timberland production (TPZ)). (Supervisors Neely and Geist)
RECOMMENDATION: Introduce the ordinance by title and waive further reading.† Adopt interim zoning Ordinance No. ______ (Exhibit A), suspending the entitlement to a building permit in lands zoned for timber production (TPZ) pursuant to Humboldt County Code Sections 314-7.4, (that allows one dwelling unit or manufactured home in timberland production zones) and 314-188.8.131.52, including subsequent 6.1, 6.2, 6.3, (that allows one dwelling unit per twenty (20) acres in land zoned for timberland production (TPZ), and making the required findings for an Interim Ordinance pursuant to Government Code Section 65858.† Direct staff to provide notice and schedule a Public Hearing on whether or not to extend the Interim Zoning Ordinance within the time limits established by law, but no later than 45 days from the date of adoption of the Interim Ordinance. Direct the Clerk of the Board to publish the full text of the ordinance in a newspaper of general circulation within fifteen (15) days after passage, and to enter in the minutes of the proceedings that the ordinance has been duly published.
G. CLOSED SESSION
2. Standing Item -- Pursuant to Government Code Section 54957.6, Review the County's Position and Instruct Designated Representatives with Respect to the Various Forms of Compensation Provided to the County's Represented and Unrepresented Personnel.
4. Pursuant to Government Code Section 54957.6, Conference with Labor Negotiator.† It is the Intention of the Board of the Humboldt County Public Authority to meet in Closed Session to have a conference with its Labor Negotiator to review and instruct designated representatives with respect to the various forms of compensation provided to represented and unrepresented personnel of the Humboldt County Public Authority
5. Standing Item -- Conference with Legal Counsel - Existing Litigation Pursuant to Government Code Section 54956.9 (a), County of Humboldt v. Robert C. Mckee; Humboldt Superior Court Case No. DR020825
H. PUBLIC APPEARANCES--1:30 P.M.
This 15-minute portion of the meeting is reserved for persons desiring to address the Board on any matter not on this agenda that is under the jurisdiction of the Board. It is requested that speakers sign the sheet at the front doors of the Chamber by 1:25 p.m.
I. PUBLIC HEARINGS
Community Development Services
1. Resolution Authorizing the Submission of a CDBG Planning & Technical Assistance Grant Application for a Preliminary Site Suitability Study for Orick Wastewater Facility (Site Location: 729 Hufford Road, Orick, California)
RECOMMENDATION: Receive staff report; open the public hearing and receive public testimony; Close the public hearing; adopt Resolution No. ___ Authorizing the submission of a $35,000 application for the 2007/2008 Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) Economic Development Site Specific Planning and Technical Assistance Grant for a Preliminary Site Suitability Study for Orick Wastewater Facility, on a site located at 729 Hufford Road, Orick, California, allocating $1,050 from the Economic Development Set-Aside Fund; and Authorizing the Community Development Services Director to sign grant paperwork and any contracts or subrecipient agreements to implement the grant after review and approval by County Counsel and Risk Management.
2. Supplemental Information for the Continued Public Hearing:† Humboldt County Local Coastal Plan (LCP) Update to review and Approve or Deny Certain Proposed LCP Plan Amendments and Zone Reclassifications within the South Coast Area Plan; Eel River Area Plan; Humboldt Bay Area Plan; Mckinleyville Area Plan; North Coast Area Plan; and Trinidad Area Plan; and Approve the Use of Digital Maps for these Updates and for Future Land Use Matters, Including Maps for Land Use, Zoning, Urban Limit Line and Resource Protection
RECOMMENDATION: That the Board of Supervisors Open the Public Hearing and receive staff report and public testimony; Introduce the proposed ordinance by title and waive further reading; Approve Resolution Number to adopt the findings and approve the listed General Plan Amendments, including assigning the Public Facilities Plan designation to lands recently acquired by the federal government for the King Range National Recreation Area and Redwood National Park; and approving the use of digital maps, including maps for Land Use, Zoning, Urban Limit Line & other development timing mechanisms shown on the Land Use maps, Access Inventory, Resource Protection, Visual Resources and Airport Land Use, which will all become effective upon certification by the Coastal Commission. (The resolution also directs staff to submit the proposed amendments to the Coastal Commission for certification.); Approve Ordinance No. ___ to adopt amendments to Section 311-7 of the Humboldt County Code by reclassifying the zoning of specific properties listed, including assigning the Public Facilities Plan and Zone designation to all unclassified public streets and highways, and assigning the Public Recreation zone to lands recently acquired by the Federal Government for the King Range National Recreation Area and Redwood National Park, which will all become effective upon certification by the Coastal Commission; Continue to the October 23, 2007 meeting the Plan and Zone changes proposed by the Department of Fish and Game to be heard separately.
3. Resolutions Authorizing the Submittal of Two Pre-Applications to the Environmental Protection Agency in the Amount of $200,000 each, for Area-Wide Assessment Grants; and Authorizing the Community Development Services Director to Sign Grant Paperwork and Contracts after Review and Approval by County Counsel and County Risk Management
RECOMMENDATION: Receive staff report; open the public hearing and receive public testimony; Close the public hearing; adopt Resolution No. ___
Any written materials related to an item on this agenda submitted to the Board of Supervisors less than 72 hours prior to the Board meeting, and that are public records subject to the Public Records Act, are available for public inspection in the Office of the Clerk of the Board at 825 5th Street, Suite 111, Eureka (476-2384), during normal business hours.
Persons wishing to file documentation on any agenda item for the official record must submit an original and nine (9) copies of each document to the Clerk of the Board of Supervisors, Room 111 of the County Courthouse, 825 5th Street in Eureka (476-2384). Documentation includes, but is not limited to, written correspondence, audio and video tapes, maps, photographs, and petitions. Failure to submit the required number of copies will result in the document/s not being placed in the official record. (Per Board of Supervisors' policy adopted on March 21, 1995.)
The Chamber is wheelchair accessible, and disabled parking is available in the lot on K Street, between Fourth and Fifth Streets. If you are a person with a disability, and you need disability-related modifications or accommodations to participate in this meeting, please contact the Clerk of the Board at (707) 476-2384, or (707) 445-7299 (fax). Requests for such modifications or accommodations must be made at least two full business days before the start of the meeting.