HUMBOLDT COUNTY COURTHOUSE
SUPERVISORSí CHAMBER, FIRST FLOOR
825 FIFTH STREET
TUESDAY, JANUARY 16, 2001
A. SALUTE TO THE FLAG
B. AGENDA ADDITIONS AND/OR DELETIONS
RECOMMENDATION: Adopt proclamation.
2. Jobs and Housing Balance Improvement Grant Application.† On December 4, 2000, the Dept of Housing and Community Development announced the availability of grant funds for local jurisdictions to improve the balance of jobs and housing within their communities. Grant Application.
RECOMMENDATION: Authorize submittal of application by adopting Resolution No. 01-7.
3. Application for California Rapid Response Assistance.† The State of California delegates its rapid response activities to local workforce investment areas and provides WIA funds to defray the costs of these activities.
RECOMMENDATION: That the Board of Supervisors approve and authorize the Chair of the Board to sign an application for California rapid response assistance.
C. CONSENT CALENDAR
These matters are routine in nature and are usually approved by a single vote. Prior to the meeting, any member of the public may request any member of the Board to pull a particular item for further discussion.
Board of Supervisors
RECOMMENDATION: Appoint Kate Green to the At-Large vacancy.
RECOMMENDATION: Ratify the Certificate of Appreciation.
RECOMMENDATION: Direct elections to move Ferndale's Municipal Elections to the day of the statewide General Elections
RECOMMENDATION: Approve letter of support for the Chair's signature.
County Administrative Office
5. Proposed Classification of Deputy CAO-Risk Management.† In order to more effectively deal with the multitude and variety of oversight functions assigned to this office it is proposed that the duties assigned to the Risk Manager position be broadened to include general administrative and financial functions.
RECOMMENDATION: Approve in concept the proposed classification of Deputy County Administrative Officer-Risk Management.
Authorize Personnel Dept. to develop a class specification and salary for the proposed class of Deputy County Administrative Officer-Risk Management.
RECOMMENDATION: It is recommended that the Board of Supervisors reappoint Glenn Brown, Tamara Falor, Terry Farmer and Jim Steinberg to the Law Library Board of Trustees.
7. Trinidad Tourist Information Booth.† The Greater Trinidad Chamber of Commerce has been approved to receive funds for Fiscal Year 2000-01 in the amount of $1,500 for operation of tourist information booth.
RECOMMENDATION: Approve agreement with the Trinidad Chamber of Commerce.
Health and Human Services - Social Services Branch
8. Truck Driving Certification Program CALWORKS.† SSB California work opportunity and responsibility to kids (CALWORKS) Welfare-To-Work program agreement with Redwoods Community College District for Truck Driving certification program for the remainder of the 2000/01 fiscal year and the 2001/02 fiscal year.
RECOMMENDATION: Approve agreement with the Redwoods Community College District.
9. Child Care Provider Training Project.† (HCDHHS) Social Services Division California Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Kids (CALWORKS) welfare-to-work program child care provider training project agreement with the Humboldt Child Care Council for the 2000/01 fiscal year.
RECOMMENDATION: Approve agreement with the Humboldt Child Care Council
10. New Class of Director - Department of Health and Human Services.† The Board has approved the creation of a new County department, merging Public Health, Mental Health and Social Services.† It is recommended that the position of Director Department of Health and Human Services also be approved.
RECOMMENDATION: Allocate position, adopt class description and adopt Resolution 01-8.
11. Change Class Number for Employment and Training Worker I/II.† On December 18, 2000 the class of Employment and Training Worker I/II was adopted with 0723 as the class number.† Payroll had issued a duplicate number and this action will correct the duplicate number.
RECOMMENDATION: That the Board of Supervisors approve the change of class number for Employment and Training Worker I/II (salary 231/272) from class 0723 to class 0721 effective immediately.
12. Maintenance Options for Local Subdivision Roads.† Due to large backlog of deferred maintenance (in excess of $100M) staff has recommended other avenues for maintenance of local subdivision streets.
RECOMMENDATION: Direct staff to review at least three options for maintenance of new subdivision local streets, namely Home Owners Associations, County service areas, and Permanent Road Divisions and report back to the Board with specific recommendations.
RECOMMENDATION: Reschedule for the meeting of January 23, 2001.
14. Lease Agreement with Hendricks Enterprise DBA Avis Rent-A-Car at the Arcata/Eureka Airport.† Avis Rent-A-Car has been under an agreement with the County of Humboldt for the past several years. This is a renewal agreement for an additional 5 years.
RECOMMENDATION: Approve lease agreement for the Arcata-Eureka Airport.
15. Lease Agreement with Denise McNulty DBA National Car Rental.† National Car Rental has been under an agreement with the County of Humboldt for the past several years.† This is a renewal agreement for an additional 5 years.
RECOMMENDATION: Approve lease agreement for the Arcata-Eureka Airport.
RECOMMENDATION: Approve allocation and associated transfer from Contingencies ($20,065)
17. Purchase One Computer and Software in Roads Administration.† The Public Works Deputy Director of General Services requires an upgrade and new computer to accommodate software Dragon Naturally Speaking.
RECOMMENDATION: Approve purchase by transferring $3,000 from Road Fund Contingencies.
RECOMMENDATION: Approve legal counsel agreement with Hawkins, Delafield and Wood.
D. SPECIAL PRESENTATIONS
RECOMMENDATION: Adopt Resolution.
E. DEPARTMENT REPORTS
Department 1 Clerk of the Board
RECOMMENDATION: Continue item to the meeting of January 23, 2001.
F. MATTERS INITIATED BY BOARD MEMBERS
G. MATTERS SET FOR TIME CERTAIN
Time Certain 1† 9:20 A.M.
1. General Relief Grant Levels.† Welfare and Institutions Code Section 17000.5 as it relates to adjustments in the General Relief standard of aid according to statutory increases, decreases or reductions in maximum aid level of TANF is discretionary on part of Board of Supervisors.
RECOMMENDATION: Increase grant levels based on 2.96% increase in CALWORKS effective Feb. 1, 2001.
H. CLOSED SESSION
2. Pursuant to Government Code Section 54957.6 for the Purpose of Reviewing the County's Position and Instructing its Designated Representatives with Respect to the Various Forms of Compensation Provided to the County's Represented and Unrepresented Employees† (None)
I. PUBLIC APPEARANCES--9:05 A.M.
This 15-minute portion of the meeting is reserved for persons desiring to address the Board on any matter not on this agenda that is under the jurisdiction of the Board. It is requested that speakers sign the sheet at the front doors of the Chamber.
1. Ken Clark Veterans Memorial Hall Concern.† Ken Clark, a member of the local chapters of the Veterans of Foreign Wars and the American Legion expressed serious concerns about Family Court still being held in the Veterans Memorial Building in Eureka.† They were scheduled to have vacated the building in June 1998.† The court's continued presence has prevented the Veterans from doing scheduled maintenance and renovation projects.
Persons wishing to file documentation on any agenda item for the official record must submit an original and nine (9) copies of each document to the Clerk of the Board of Supervisors, Room 111 of the County Courthouse, 825 5th Street in Eureka (476-2384). Documentation includes, but is not limited to, written correspondence, audio and video tapes, maps, photographs, and petitions. Failure to submit the required number of copies will result in the document/s not being placed in the official record. (Per Board of Supervisors' policy adopted on March 21, 1995.)
The Chamber is wheelchair accessible, and disabled parking is available in the lot on K Street, between Fourth and Fifth Streets. If you are a person with a disability, and you need disability-related modifications or accommodations to participate in this meeting, please contact the Clerk of the Board at (707) 476-2384, or (707) 445-7299 (fax). Requests for such modifications or accommodations must be made at least two full business days before the start of the meeting.