HUMBOLDT COUNTY COURTHOUSE
SUPERVISORSí CHAMBER, FIRST FLOOR
825 FIFTH STREET
TUESDAY, MARCH 12, 2002
A. OPENING CEREMONIES
B. AGENDA ADDITIONS AND/OR DELETIONS (NONE)
C. CONSENT CALENDAR
These matters are routine in nature and are usually approved by a single vote. Prior to the meeting, any member of the public may request any member of the Board to pull a particular item for further discussion.
Board of Supervisors
1. Arcata Chamber of Commerce's Business Leader of the Year.† A certificate of recognition was presented to Dan Collen on March 1, 2002 because he has been named Arcata Chamber of Commerce Business Leader of the Year 2001 for leadership and commitment to services to the greater Arcata communities and Humboldt County.† (Supervisor Woolley)
RECOMMENDATION: Ratify certificate of recognition.
RECOMMENDATION: Approve execution of grant by adopting Resolution No. 02-18.
Clerk of the Board
RECOMMENDATION: Approve the Board Orders.
RECOMMENDATION: Refer request to the Auditor-Controller for appropriate action.
Community Development Services
RECOMMENDATION: Approve allocation.
County Administrative Office
RECOMMENDATION: Approve update, and direct County Counsel to prepare appropriate ordinance.
District Attorney/Child Support
RECOMMENDATION: Allocate two Family Support Officer I/II positions, transfer $16,052 from Child Support Enforcement contingencies adopt 40 hour class of Senior Legal Secretary I/II into classification plan, and reallocate Senior Legal Secretary I/II position now occupied by Marilyn Salizar.
Health and Human Services - Public Health Branch
RECOMMENDATION: Approve purchase.
RECOMMENDATION: Approve extensions for J. Buck, G. Home, S. Mayr, G. Mangrubang and J. Mylne.
RECOMMENDATION: Approve supplemental budget for purchase of two vehicles, two mobile radios and an equipment trailer.
RECOMMENDATION: Adopt Ordinance No. 2266 relating to parking in Garberville.
RECOMMENDATION: Approve request and authorize Public Works Director to file Notice of Completion.
RECOMMENDATION: Approve request and authorize Public Works to file Notice of Completion.
RECOMMENDATION: Grant authorization by adopting Resolution No. 02-19.
RECOMMENDATION: Approve purchase ($20,000)
RECOMMENDATION: Approve purchase ($1,100)
RECOMMENDATION: Approve purchase ($3,000)
RECOMMENDATION: Approve purchase ($950)
RECOMMENDATION: Accept easement deed from Mary Maxine Barnett
RECOMMENDATION: Accept easement deed from John S. and Thelma A. Dake
RECOMMENDATION: Board Order No. C-21 must be rescinded because the plans and specifications that were approved per this Board item have never been filed with the Clerk of the Board.
RECOMMENDATION: Approve plans and specifications and hold bid opening on April 9, 2002.
RECOMMENDATION: Accept easement executed by William S. Combs and Karen Moulton
RECOMMENDATION: Approve appointment at Range 301 Step C
RECOMMENDATION: Approve reverse supplemental budget of ($15,047)
RECOMMENDATION: Approve lease with Marc and Londa Rowley and approve supplemental budget
RECOMMENDATION: Approve supplemental budget.
D. DEPARTMENT REPORTS
RECOMMENDATION: Receive and file report.† Devote $200,000 to Veteran's Buildings deferred maintenance.† Send letter be sent to the Humboldt Area Foundation informing them of the Board's commitment of said funding.
E. MATTERS INITIATED BY BOARD MEMBERS
RECOMMENDATION: Authorize County Counsel to do an analysis of the traffic study parameters provided to the City of Eureka by the attorney for Target.
F. MATTERS SET FOR TIME CERTAIN
Time Certain 1 9:20 AM DHHS Social Services Branch
RECOMMENDATION: Receive and file response.
Time Certain 2† 9:45 AM Board of Supervisors
RECOMMENDATION: Support the California Department of Transportationís proposed improvements as outlined in the March 8, 2002 letter from District Director Rick Knapp.† Support State Senator Chesbro's intent to pursue legislation to provide for doubling of traffic fines in the corridor.
G. CLOSED SESSION
1. Conference with Legal Counsel existing litigation pursuant to Government Code Section 54956.9(a) PG&E debtor Case No 01-30923DM: Northern District of California San Francisco Division (No final action taken)
2. It is the intention of the Board of Supervisors to meet in Closed Session to consider the discipline dismissal or release of a public employee pursuant to Government Code Section 54954.5 (No final action taken)
3. Conference with Legal Counsel anticipated litigation per Govt. Code Section 54956.9(c) initiation of litigation (two cases) (No final action taken on one case.† Other case rescheduled for March 26, 2002)†
H. PUBLIC APPEARANCES--9:05 A.M.
This 15-minute portion of the meeting is reserved for persons desiring to address the Board on any matter not on this agenda that is under the jurisdiction of the Board. It is requested that speakers sign the sheet at the front doors of the Chamber.
1. Judith Schmidt submitted a two-page letter in support of Humboldt County joining with Coos County Board of commissioners on their lawsuit against the US Fish and Wildlife Service over its designation of a critical habitat for the Western Snowy Plover.† Daniel Pierce supports the opening of a cannabis center in Humboldt County so that medical marijuana can be dispensed to sick people.† He also said a friend of his with multiple sclerosis was devastated when she was told by the Eureka Fire Department that "she'll be put in a home" if the EFD has to respond to her residence again.† Ed Salsedo said that he was disappointed with the Board's adoption of the new ordinance regulating County Parks that was adopted on March 5, 2002.
I. PUBLIC HEARINGS
Community Development Services
RECOMMENDATION: Adopt Ordinance No. 2267 for zone reclassification to Timberland Production.
RECOMMENDATION: Reschedule for the meeting of Tuesday March 26, 2002 at 1:30 PM.
J. OPTIONAL ITEM
Any written materials related to an item on this agenda submitted to the Board of Supervisors less than 72 hours prior to the Board meeting, and that are public records subject to the Public Records Act, are available for public inspection in the Office of the Clerk of the Board at 825 5th Street, Suite 111, Eureka (476-2384), during normal business hours.
Persons wishing to file documentation on any agenda item for the official record must submit an original and nine (9) copies of each document to the Clerk of the Board of Supervisors, Room 111 of the County Courthouse, 825 5th Street in Eureka (476-2384). Documentation includes, but is not limited to, written correspondence, audio and video tapes, maps, photographs, and petitions. Failure to submit the required number of copies will result in the document/s not being placed in the official record. (Per Board of Supervisors' policy adopted on March 21, 1995.)
The Chamber is wheelchair accessible, and disabled parking is available in the lot on K Street, between Fourth and Fifth Streets. If you are a person with a disability, and you need disability-related modifications or accommodations to participate in this meeting, please contact the Clerk of the Board at (707) 476-2384, or (707) 445-7299 (fax). Requests for such modifications or accommodations must be made at least two full business days before the start of the meeting.