Supervisors’ Chamber, First Floor
825 Fifth Street, Eureka
Matters under the jurisdiction of the Board, and not on agenda, may be addressed by the public at the time provided in the agenda under Public Appearances. The Board may hold Closed Sessions as the agenda schedule permits. If items are marked with an asterisk (*), the recommended actions will require a 4/5 vote of the Board.
A. SALUTE TO THE FLAG
B. AGENDA ADDITIONS AND/OR DELETIONS
C. CONSENT CALENDAR
These matters are routine in nature and are usually approved by a single vote. Prior to the meeting, any member of the public may request any member of the Board to pull a particular item for further discussion.
Board of Supervisors
1. Continuation of Emergency - Transmission of Disease Through Contaminated Needle Use. (Supervisor Rodoni)
RECOMMENDATION: Declare that a local state of emergency, per Resolution No. 2000-14, remains in effect until October 18, 2005, allowing Public Health Branch of the Health and Human Services Department to continue a needle-exchange program.
Community Development Services
2. Separation of Duties Assignment Establishing Duties for the Local Workforce Investment Area, and Delegation of Signature Authority to Community Development Services Department Director and the Workforce Investment Board Executive Director
RECOMMENDATION: Approve Separation of Duties Assignment establishing duties for the Local Workforce Investment Area between the Economic Development Division of the Community Development Services Department and the Employment Training Division of the Social Services Branch of the Department of Health and Human Services. Adopt Resolution No. 05-__, delegating signature authority to the Community Development Services Director for all contracts flowing from all workforce grants covered by the annual Sub-Grant Agreement. Adopt Resolution No. 05-__, delegating signature authority to the Workforce Investment Board Executive Director for administrative items,
County Administrative Office
RECOMMENDATION: Elect to reserve 15% of the Forest Service reserve payments for County projects under Title III, and direct staff to notify the U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service accordingly. Take a position of support for HR 517 for reauthorization of Federal Secure Rural Schools and Community Self-Determination Act.
RECOMMENDATION: 1. Authorize Chair to sign MOU (Attachment A) adding Orick CSD, Fire Department, to the program, effective 10-1-05; and 2. Approve Resolution (Attachment B) to add Orick CSD, Fire Department, to the County's primary and excess workers' compensation polices as a covered party/named insured.
County Clerk-Recorder--Elections Division
RECOMMENDATION: Authorize Chair to sign grant contract.
Health and Human Services - Administration
RECOMMENDATION: Approve MOU.
Health and Human Services - Mental Health Branch
RECOMMENDATION: Approve request.
Health and Human Services - Public Health Branch
8. Request for Extension of Temporary Increase in Compensation of Fifteen Salary Ranges for Catherine Hart, Public Health Microbiologist, for Assuming Duties Related to Oversight of the Public Health Laboratory Through February 28, 2006 or Until the Lab Management Position is Filled (Whichever Comes First)
RECOMMENDATION: Approve request.
RECOMMENDATION: Approve grant contract, approve associated supplemental budget, and approve an increase in FTE for an Administrative Analyst position.
RECOMMENDATION: Accept $12,000 grant.
Health and Human Services - Social Services Branch
RECOMMENDATION: Approve requests.
RECOMMENDATION: Authorize the Director of Public works to sign Contract Change Order No. 1 ($18,188.63).
RECOMMENDATION: Adopt supplemental budget ($164,600).
RECOMMENDATION: Adopt supplemental budget ($11,360).
D. SPECIAL PRESENTATIONS
1. Proclaim October 2005 as Traumatic Brain Injury Awareness Month (Supervisor Smith)
RECOMMENDATION: Adopt the Proclamation.
E. DEPARTMENT REPORTS
RECOMMENDATION: Adopt Ordinance No. ____.
County Administrative Office (CAO)
RECOMMENDATION: Receive update, and take appropriate action (if required).
RECOMMENDATION: Hear report.
F. MATTERS INITIATED BY BOARD MEMBERS
RECOMMENDATION: Hear reports.
RECOMMENDATION: Take appropriate action (if required).
G. MATTERS SET FOR TIME CERTAIN
9:30 a.m. -- BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
RECOMMENDATION: Hear the report and take appropriate action, if required.
H. CLOSED SESSION
2. Standing Item--Pursuant to Government Code Section 54957.6, Review the County's Position, and Instruct Designated Representatives with Respect to the Various Forms of Compensation Provided to the County's Represented and Unrepresented Employees (if required)
4. Pursuant to California Government Code Section 54954.5, it is the intention of the Board to meet in Closed Session to consider the public employee performance evaluation for the position of the Director of Community Development Services.
5. Standing Item--Adjourn as County Board of Supervisors, and Reconvene as Humboldt County Public Authority. Pursuant to Government Code Section 54957.6, Conference with Labor Negotiator. It is the intention of the Board of the Humboldt County Public Authority to meet in Closed Session to have a conference with its Labor Negotiator to review and instruct designated representatives with respect to the various forms of compensation provided to represented and unrepresented personnel of the Humboldt County Public Authority.
I. PUBLIC APPEARANCES--1:30 P.M.
This 15-minute portion of the meeting is reserved for persons desiring to address the Board on any matter not on this agenda that is under the jurisdiction of the Board. It is requested that speakers sign the sheet at the front doors of the Chamber by 1:25 p.m.
J. PUBLIC HEARINGS
Community Development Services - 2:00 p.m. Time Set
1. CONTINUED PUBLIC HEARING (from 9/20/05 Board of Supervisors Meeting) EDWARDS Final Map Subdivision/Planned Unit Development/Lot Line Adjustment/Street Name Assignment Application; Appeals to Set Aside Planning Commission Decision to Approve the Project as Revised by the Commission on July 7, 2005; File No. APN 509-240-37 and -41; Case No. FMS-03-12A; McKinleyville Area
RECOMMENDATION: Uphold the appeal by Koehler/Ajina, uphold the appeal by the Director of Community Development Services, and set aside the Planning Commission approval of the project as revised by the Commission at the July 7, 2005 hearing. Approve the project as conditioned, with said project to result in: a) a 25-lot Planned Unit Development; (b) the extension of Tasi Lane to D Street as a vehicular connection as well as a pedestrian/bicycle trail route; (c) the installation of a median or other traffic-calming device at the entry to the subdivision; and (d) the inclusion of Condition of Approval No. 22, which requires participation in the future widening and improvement of Azalea Avenue.
Persons wishing to file documentation on any agenda item for the official record must submit an original and nine (9) copies of each document to the Clerk of the Board of Supervisors, Room 111 of the County Courthouse, 825 5th Street in Eureka (476-2384). Documentation includes, but is not limited to, written correspondence, audio and video tapes, maps, photographs, and petitions. Failure to submit the required number of copies will result in the document/s not being placed in the official record. (Per Board of Supervisors' policy adopted on March 21, 1995.)
The Chamber is wheelchair accessible, and disabled parking is available in the lot on K Street, between Fourth and Fifth Streets. If you are a person with a disability, and you need disability-related modifications or accommodations to participate in this meeting, please contact the Clerk of the Board at (707) 476-2384, or (707) 445-7299 (fax). Requests for such modifications or accommodations must be made at least two full business days before the start of the meeting.
Afternoon Sessions Tentatively Scheduled for Future Board Meetings
Tuesday, October 18, 2005—1:45 p.m.
Thursday, November 3, 2005—6:30 p.m.—Arcata Community Center
Joint Public Hearing on Cox Cable Franchise
There are no Board meetings scheduled on the following dates in 2005 (all Tuesdays):
November 15, November 22, November 29, December 20, and December 27.
BARRING ANY UNFORESEEN TECHNICAL DIFFICULTIES OR SCHEDULING CHANGES, REGULAR MEETINGS OF THE BOARD OF SUPERVISORS ARE BROADCAST LIVE ON COX CABLE CHANNEL 10, AND ARE REBROADCAST ON WEDNESDAYS AT 8 O’CLOCK P.M.
County of Humboldt Web Site: http://www.co.humboldt.ca.us