BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
SUMMARY OF PROCEEDINGS
TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 8, 2000
Humboldt County Courthouse
Supervisors’ Chambers, First Floor
825 Fifth Street, Eureka
PRESENT: Supervisors Rodoni, Woolley, Neely, and Kirk
ABSENT: Supervisor Dixon (Attending State Board of Forestry meeting in Sacramento.)
All listed actions were taken by a unanimous vote or by Order of the Chair.
A. OPENING CEREMONIES
1. Salute to the Flag
2. Invocation by Pastor Carlotta Vallerga of the First Congregational Church of Eureka
B. AGENDA ADDITIONS AND/OR DELETIONS (None)
C. CONSENT CALENDAR
1. Subject: Consent to Assignment of Cable Television Franchises--Orick and Willow Creek
Action: Approve from Blackstone Cable LLC to Mallard Cablevision LLC.
Board of Supervisors
2. Subject: Gang Violence and Juvenile Crime Prevention Act (Supervisor Woolley)
Action: Reschedule for the meeting of February 22, 2000.
3. Subject: Proposition 28, Which Would Repeal Proposition 10 (the Tobacco Tax Initiative Passed by California’s Voters in 1998) (Supervisor Woolley)
Action: Adopt Resolution No. 2000-15, opposing Proposition 28.
4. Subject: Continuation of Emergency - Transmission of Disease Through Contaminated Needle Use (Supervisor Dixon)
Action: Declare that a local state of emergency, per Resolution No. 2000-14, remains in effect until February 22, 2000, allowing the Department of Public Health to continue a needle-exchange program.
Clerk of the Board
5. Subject: Request that the County Conduct April 11, 2000, Fortuna Municipal Election
Action: Withdraw from agenda (conducting of municipal election no longer necessary).
6. Subject: Appointment of Alternate Member to the Assessment Appeals Board
Action: Withdraw from agenda (bring back when more applications are filed).
7. Subject: Appointment to Oversight Committee for Child Welfare Services
Action: Appoint Beverly Nachem, R.N., M.S. as HSU Faculty representative.
8. Subject: Appointment to the Human Rights Commission
Action: Appoint Mr. Victor A. G. Taylor as Fifth District representative.
9. Subject: Approval of the Board Orders from the Board Meeting of January 25, 2000
Action: Approve the Board Orders.
10. Subject: Funding for a Coroner’s Inquest Scheduled to be Held March 6, 2000
Action: Transfer $5,000 from the General Fund Contingency.
11. Subject: Ordinance Amending Title V, Div. 7, Chapter I of County Code Entitled Children and Families First Program, Implementing California Children & Families First Act of 1998
Action: Adopt Ordinance No. 2202.
12. Subject: Revised Gates Library Initiative Grant and Adoption of Supplemental Budget
Action: Accept grant of $105,988 and adopt supplemental budget.
C. CONSENT CALENDAR (Continued)
13. Subject: Resolution Authorizing the Chief Probation Officer to Apply for and Execute the Agreement for Juvenile Accountability Incentive Block Grant Funds
Action: Adopt Resolution No. 2000-16.
14. Subject: Medi-Cal Administrative Activities and Targeted Case Management Agreement
Action: Approve agreement with Humboldt Senior Resource Center Linkages Program, and approve supplemental budget of $98,542.
15. Subject: Supplemental Budget--Project Leaders Encouraging Activity and Nutrition (LEAN)
Action: Approve supplemental budget of $23,970.
16. Subject: Motor Pool Budget Adjustments
Action: Approve adjustments and associated transfer of $140,000.
17. Subject: Construction of 6-Unit T-Hanger at Murray Field; Project No. 911849
Action: Accept completed contract with Danco Builders, Contractor.
18. Subject: Request to Establish Rents and Leases - Structure Line Item
Action: Establish said line item in Boat Safety budget unit.
19. Subject: TRENDS Report for the Quarter Ending December 1999
Action: Receive and file.
D. PUBLIC APPEARANCES--9:05 A.M.
E. DEPARTMENT REPORTS
1. Subject: Change Orders Over $10,000 on Public Works Projects (None)
2. Subject: Advertisement or Award of Public Works Projects (None)
3. Subject: Resolution Re-Establishing the County Airport Advisory Committee
Action: Adopt Resolution No. 2000-17.
4. Subject: Repealing Individual Department Conflict of Interest Codes and Adopting One Conflict of Interest Code for the County of Humboldt and the Humboldt County Courts
Action: Adopt Resolution No. 2000-18.
E. DEPARTMENT REPORTS (Continued)
Clerk of the Board
5. Subject: Appointment of At-Large Member to the Airport Advisory Committee
Action: Appoint David Ravetti as at-large member and Dennis Hunter as an alternate.
F. MATTERS INITIATED BY BOARD MEMBERS
1. Subject: Reports on Board Member Travel at County Expense (None)
2. Subject: Reports on Board Member Meeting Attendance (No Action)
3. Subject: Potential or Proposed Big Box Retail Development in the County (No Action)
G. CLOSED SESSION
1. Report from Prior Closed Session (None)
2. Pursuant to Government Code Section 54957.6 for the Purpose of Reviewing the County’s Position, and Instructing its Designated Representatives with Respect to the Various Forms of Compensation Provided to the County’s Represented and Unrepresented Employees (None)
3. Report on Pending or Threatened Litigation Pursuant to Government Code Section 54956.9 (None)
4. Conference with Legal Counsel. Anticipated Litigation Pursuant to Government Code Section 54956.9 (Three Cases) (No Final Action Taken)
Supplemental Item (Posted February 3, 2000, at 4:40 p.m.)
5. Conference with Legal Counsel. Existing Litigation Pursuant to Government Code Section 54956.9(a). Formally Initiated. Hunter v. County of Humboldt et al. Humboldt County Superior Court Case No. CV99-623 (No Final Action Taken)
Supplemental Item (Posted February 4, 2000, at 4:30 p.m.)
6. It is the Intention of the Board of Supervisors to Meet in Closed Session to Consider Public Employee Evaluation for the Position of County Administrative Officer Pursuant to Government Code Section 54954.5 (No Final Action Taken [to be continued to date in future which will be duly noticed])
Clerk of the Board