BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
SUMMARY OF PROCEEDINGS
TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 29, 2000
Humboldt County Courthouse
Supervisorsí Chambers, First Floor
825 Fifth Street, Eureka
PRESENT: Supervisors Dixon, Rodoni, Woolley, Neely, and Kirk (All Present)
With exception of No. H-2, all listed actions were taken by a unanimous vote, or by Order of the Chair.
A. OPENING CEREMONIES
1. Salute to the Flag
2. Invocation by Pastor Carlotta Vallerga of the First Congregational Church of Eureka
B. OFF-AGENDA ITEMS
Board of Supervisors
1. Subject: Support for the Humboldt Trail Feasibility Study (Supervisor Woolley)
Action: Send letter of support to the California Coastal Conservancy.
2. Subject: Provide from Contingencies Up to $5,000 to Assist with Marketing Efforts of the Census 2000 (Supervisor Woolley)
Action: Approve allocation of $2,500.
3. Subject: Federal Fiscal Year 2000 Emergency Management Performance Grant
Recommendation: Approve Initial State of California Governorís Office of Emergency Services Assistance Agreements.
C. CONSENT CALENDAR
Board of Supervisors
1. Subject: Ratification of Service Certificate Presented to Harvey Harper (Supervisor Neely)
Action: Ratify certificate of recognition.
Community Development Services
2. Subject: Census 2000 Complete Count Committee, Board Appointees, and Fund Number
Action: Approve volunteer appointees and creation of Fund 3929 ($17,351).
Human Services Cabinet (HSC)
3. Subject: Use of Southern Humboldt Service Center During Emergency Activations
Action: Approve protocol for use between the Sheriff and the HSC.
4. Subject: First Amendment to GEAC Maintenance Contract
Action: Approve amendment to change price increase date to July 1.
5. Subject: Conducting Needle-Exchange Programs Under Provisions of AB 136
Action: Approve in concept agreement with individual contractors.
6. Subject: Microbiological and Analytical Services on Milk Products
Action: Approve contract with the State Department of Food & Agriculture.
7. Subject: Intervention in Potter Valley Public Utilities Commission Proceeding on Application No. 99-09-053
Action: Approve contract with Power Economics to aid in preparation and presentation of testimony to separate the Potter Valley Project, and approve transfer of $6,000 from the General Fund Contingency to finance said contract.
8. Subject: County Waste Management Authority Request for Additional Personnel Under a Revised Agreement with Humboldt County
Action: Approve revised agreement to provide staff services for the Authority transfer stations at Arcata, Eureka, and Cummings Road Landfill. Direct staff to terminate the existing contract. Approve staffing and funding as outlined in Nos. 3-14 of staff report.
D. PUBLIC APPEARANCES--9:05 A.M.
Jerry Hurley supported the enforcement of California Penal Code 308 as a deterrent to drug abuse in Humboldt County. David Elsebusch express concerns about the policies of the Elections Division. Laurie Lazio encouraged the Board to listen very carefully to what is said during the Boardís consideration of Intervention in Potter Valley Public Utilities Commission Proceeding on Application No. 99-09-053. George Ingram presented awards from the Humboldt County Medical Society to Chief Probation Officer David Lehman, Sheriff Dennis Lewis, and Chief Ben Doane. Chief Deputy Ben Doane thanked his staff for their work in getting the above-mentioned award.
E. SPECIAL PRESENTATIONS
1. Subject: Declaring North Coast Mardi Gras Week (Supervisor Neely)
Action: Adopt proclamation for first week of March 2000.
2. Subject: Declaring Anemia Prevention Month (Supervisor Kirk)
Action: Adopt proclamation for March 2000.
3. Subject: Commendations of Sponsors of 2000 Redwood Coast Dixieland Jazz Festival and Proclamation for March 2000 as Jazz Festival Appreciation Month (Supervisor Neely)
Action: Adopt proclamation and resolutions of commendation.
F. DEPARTMENT REPORTS
1. Subject: Change Orders Over $10,000 on Public Works Projects (None)
2. Subject: Advertisement or Award of Public Works Projects (None)
Community Development Services
3. Subject: Update on Coastal Conservancy Grant for Beaches and Dunes Management Plan
Action: Authorize a Board subcommittee of Supervisors Woolley and Kirk to: work with
CDS staff, community members, and the Sheriff to come to some resolve on funding issues and funding for enforcement on all dunes areas; prepare an update through the first six months of the current fiscal year by April 1, 2000, and thereafter be an accounting on a quarterly basis; finalize the design on the parking for the power pole site; look at acquisition/appraisal issues; and review how the Community Assistance Unit manages dunes issues brought forth to them.
4. Subject: Report on Winter Shelter; Second Amendment to MOU; Supplemental Budget
Action: Amend memorandum of understanding to extend winter shelter for thirty (30) days, and adopt supplemental budget of $10,904.
County Administrative Office
5. Subject: Grand Jury Request for Increased Per Diem Allowance
Action: Approve $5 increase per 7-hour unit of time effective July 1, 2000 (a cap of $5,800).
6. Subject: Extension or Termination of Declaration of Local State of Emergency
Action: Hold special session on March 6, 2000, at 9:00 a.m. to consider termination or extension of current declaration of local state of emergency (needle-exchange program).
G. MATTERS INITIATED BY BOARD MEMBERS
1. Subject: Reports on Board Member Travel at County Expense (No Action)
2. Subject: Reports on Board Member Meeting Attendance (No Action)
3. Subject: Potential or Proposed Big Box Retail Development in the County (No Action)
H. MATTERS SET FOR TIME CERTAIN
10:00 a.m.--County Administrative Officer
1. Subject: Mid-Year Financial Review and Budget Parameters for Fiscal Year 2000-2001
Action: Approve parameters, adopt schedule, and send letter to Senator Chesbro, Assembly-woman Strom-Martin, and Legislative Advocate Don Peterson inviting them to an afternoon session of the Board in order for them to hear from local government officials and department heads on importance of local governments sharing in Stateís surplus funds, especially for such areas as deferred building maintenance and public works infrastructure improvements.
10:30 a.m.--Board of Supervisors
2. Subject: Request for Financial Assistance--Resource Conservation District (Supervisor Dixon)
Action: Transfer $13,000 from the Contingency Fund to the RCD with the direction that this request, and similar requests, be revisited during the Fiscal Year 2000 budget deliberations.
Vote: AYES: Supervisors Dixon, Rodoni, Woolley, and Neely NAY: Supervisor Kirk
11:00 a.m.--Board of Supervisors
3. Subject: First Annual Report from Children & Families First Commission (Supervisor Neely)
Action: Hear report.
I. CLOSED SESSION
1. Report from Prior Closed Session (None)
2. Pursuant to Government Code Section 54957.6, Review the Countyís Position, and Instructing its Designated Representatives with Respect to the Various Forms of Compensation Provided to the Countyís Represented and Unrepresented Employees (None)
3. Report on Pending or Threatened Litigation Pursuant to Govt. Code Sect. 54956.9 (None)
4. Conference with Legal Counsel. Anticipated Litigation Pursuant to Government Code Section 54956.9 (One Case) (No Final Action Taken)