BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
SUMMARY OF PROCEEDINGS
TUESDAY, JULY 18, 2000
Humboldt County Courthouse
Supervisors' Chambers, First Floor
825 Fifth Street, Eureka
PRESENT: Supervisors Rodoni, Woolley, Neely, and Kirk
ABSENT: Supervisor Dixon (attending National Association of Counties' conference in North Carolina)
All listed actions were taken by a unanimous vote, or by Order of the Chair.
A. OPENING CEREMONIES
1. Salute to the Flag
2. Invocation by Captain David Yardley of the Salvation Army
B. AGENDA ADDITIONS AND/OR DELETIONS (None)
C. CONSENT CALENDAR
Board of Supervisors
1. Subject: Final Environmental Impact Statement on Potter Valley Project on Eel River (Supervisor Dixon)
Action: Recommend that Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) not make a decision on flow release schedule for project at Van Arsdale until National Marine Fisheries Service submits a final biological opinion to FERC.
2. Subject: Proclamation Commemorating August 5, 2000, as Nuclear Weapons Free Zone Commemoration Day in Humboldt County (Supervisor Woolley)
Action: Adopt proclamation.
3. Subject: Off-Highway Vehicle Grant to Fund Two Deputies to Patrol Both Beach and Dunes Management Area and Beaches to North and South, Where Enforcement Has Been a Continuing Problem (Supervisor Woolley)
Action: Adopt resolution and letter of support for grant application.
4. Subject: Commending Donna Millsap for 31 Years of County Service (Supervisor Neely)
Action: Ratify resolution.
5. Subject: Proclaiming Bigfoot Days in Willow Creek (Supervisor Kirk)
Action: Adopt proclamation for week of September 2, 2000.
Clerk of the Board
6. Subject: Approval of the Board Orders from the Meeting of July 10, 2000
Action: Approve the Board Orders.
7. Subject: Resolution from the Rio Dell City Council Requesting Consolidation of General Municipal Election with the Statewide General Election Occurring on November 7, 2000
Action: Approve request as conditioned.
8. Subject: Appointment of Alternate Member to the Airport Advisory Committee
Action: Approve the appointment of Jack Limmer.
County Administrative Office
9. Subject: Letter of Opposition to Senate Bill 673--Tobacco Settlement
Action: Send letter to Senator Escutia, Senator Chesbro, Assembly Member Strom-Martin, and Don Peterson.
10. Subject: Supplemental Budget for Preventative Health Care for the Aging
Action: Approve supplemental budget.
11. Subject: Authorize State Dept. of Mental Health to Transfer Funds for Administrative Services Organization
Action: Adopt Resolution No. 2000-62.
12. Subject: Agreement with LDH Enterprises for Fiscal Year 2000-2001
Action: Approve agreement for supplemental rate services.
13. Subject: Contract with Del Norte County for Accommodations for its Juvenile Wards
Action: Approve contract for placing a juvenile ward in Bar-O Boys Ranch.
14. Subject: Amendment to Contract with the State Department of Health Services for Funding the Housing Opportunities for People with AIDS Program
Action: Amend contract for receiving $42,017 in funding.
15. Subject: Supplemental Budget for Alternative Response Team for Fiscal Year 1999-2000
Action: Approve supplemental budget of $1,187.
16. Subject: Supplemental Budget for Alternative Response Team for Fiscal Year 1999-2000
Action: Approve supplemental budget of $130.
17. Subject: Supplemental Budget for Alternative Response Team for Fiscal Year 2000-2001
Action: Approve supplemental budget of $220.
18. Subject: Supplemental Budget for Alternative Response Team for Fiscal Year 2000-2001
Action: Approve supplemental budget of $4,392.
19. Subject: Project Leaders Encouraging Activity and Nutrition Through June 30, 2001
Action: Approve contract with the State Department of Health Services.
20. Subject: Contract with Humboldt Open Door Clinics and Willow Creek Family Health Center
Action:: Approve contract for the provision of needle exchange services.
21. Subject: Change in the Smoking Ordinance's Definition of County Building
Action: Direct Counsel to make changes to Section 971-2(b) of County Code.
22. Subject: Assignment of Tom Caetano, Sr., as Road Crew Supervisor
Action: Approve assignment retroactive to July 2, 2000, through July 31, 2000.
23. Subject: Classification Review: Tire Repair Worker
Action: Delete class of Tire Repair Worker, and adopt class of Tire Repair Specialist.
24. Subject: Lease Agreement with Johnson's Mobile Solutions for Rental of Modular Unit
Action: Approve lease agreement.
25. Subject: Request to Receive and File 1999-2000 Emergency Homeless Shelter Report
Action: Approve request.
D. PUBLIC APPEARANCES--9:05 A.M. (None)
E. DEPARTMENT REPORTS
1. Subject: Change Orders Over $10,000 on Public Works Projects (None)
2. Subject: Advertisement or Award of Public Works Projects (None)
County Administrative Office
3. Subject: Foreign Trade Zone (FTZ)
Action: Designate Supervisor Neely as the County representative to attend the hearing on the City-of-Eureka-sponsored FTZ on July 26, 2000.
F. MATTERS INITIATED BY BOARD MEMBERS
1. Subject: Board Member Travel at County Cost and Meeting Attendance (No Action)
2. Subject: Potential or Proposed Big Box Retail Development in the County (No Action)
G. MATTERS SET FOR TIME CERTAIN
9:20 a.m.--Board of Supervisors
1. Subject: Status Report and Public Participation for Headwaters Funds Decision Making
Action: Receive report on Proposed Headwaters Fund Plan for Public Outreach and Development of Alternatives. Direct staff to proceed with said plan. Direct Headwaters Subcommittee to continue to work with staff and outside counsel to identify fund parameters that would not jeopardize County's eligibility for low interest TRANS funding.
H. CLOSED SESSION
1. Report from Prior Closed Session (None)
2. Pursuant to Government Code Section 54957.6, Review County's Position, and Instruct its Designated Representatives with Respect to the Various Forms of Compensation Provided to the County's Represented and Unrepresented Employees (No Final Action Taken)
3. Report on Pending or Threatened Litigation Pursuant to Govt. Code Sect. 54956.9 (None)
I. PUBLIC HEARINGS--1:30 P.M.
Community Development Services
1. Subject: Hoopes/Fleming/Fritz/East Zone Reclassification/Lot Line Adjustment and Joint Timber Management Plan (JTMP) and Guide; Rio Dell Area; File No. 205-031-44; Case Nos. ZR-98-07/LLA-98-32
Action: Approve JTMP and approve zone change by adopting Ordinance No. 2218.
2. Subject: Extension of Minor Subdivision and Coastal Development Permit Applications; Case Nos. PMS-04-95X; MICHAEL MOSS, Applicant; File No. APN 515-131-06; Trinidad Area
Action: Open public hearing and continue same to Tuesday, August 22, 2000.