BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
SUMMARY OF PROCEEDINGS
TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 5, 2000
Humboldt County Courthouse
Supervisors' Chambers, First Floor
825 Fifth Street, Eureka
PRESENT: Supervisors Dixon, Rodoni, Woolley, Neely, and Kirk (All Present)
All listed actions were taken by a unanimous vote, or by Order of the Chair.
A. OPENING CEREMONIES
1. Salute to the Flag
2. Moment of Silence
B. AGENDA ADDITION
Supplemental Item--Board of Supervisors
1. Subject: Reimbursement Assistance for Local Ambulance Providers (Supervisor Woolley)
Recommendation: Send letter of support to Senators Feinstein and Boxer and Rep. Thompson.
C. CONSENT CALENDAR
Board of Supervisors
1. Subject: Deng Shaoyi-Yangtze River-Three Gorges Art Exhibit (Supervisor Rodoni)
Action: Adopt resolution of welcome.
2. Subject: Cost-Reimbursement Subagreement with the Humboldt Child Care Council
Action: Approve subagreement.
3. Subject: Mental Health Outreach Services to Fortuna Union High School District (FUHSD)
Action: Adopt memorandum of understanding with the FUHSD.
4. Subject: Lease for Office Space Located at 317 Second Street in Eureka
Action: Approve lease with Al and Alice Abrahamsen and Kent and Alice Pryor.
5. Subject: Assignment of Hank Gevas as Road Maintenance Supervisor
Action: Approve assignment through October 1-29, 2000.
6. Subject: Construction of Courthouse Landscaping, Staircase, and Disabled Parking Stalls
Action: Approve plans and specifications, and hold rebid on September 27, 2000.
7. Subject: Filing of Federal Annual Certification Report with the U. S. Department of Justice
Action: Authorize Chair to sign said report.
Social Services (DSS)
8. Subject: Ensure Appropriate Services to Foster Children Supervised by Probation Department
Action: Approve agreement between Departments of Social Services and Probation.
9. Subject: Master Lease/Purchase Agreement with Transocean Funding Inc.
Action: Approve agreement by adopting Resolution No. 2000-76.
10. Subject: CalLearn Case Management Services to CalWORKs Recipients Referred by DSS
Action: Approve agreement with the Humboldt Child Care Council.
D. PUBLIC APPEARANCES--9:05 A.M. (None)
E. SPECIAL PRESENTATIONS
1. Subject: Declaring Fifth Annual Festival By the Bay (Supervisor Neely)
Action: Adopt proclamation for September 9, 2000.
2. Subject: Declaring California History Week (Supervisor Rodoni)
Action: Adopt proclamation with emphasis on Admission Day (September 9).
3. Subject: Declaring September 2000 as Humboldt Literacy Month (Supervisor Rodoni)
Action: Adopt proclamation.
F. DEPARTMENT REPORTS
1. Subject: Change Orders Over $10,000 on Public Works Projects (None)
2. Subject: Advertisement or Award of Public Works Projects (None)
3. Subject:; State Transportation Improvement Program (STIP)--Call for Projects
Action: Approve the submitted priority list of County road improvement projects for 2000.
County Administrative Office
4. Subject: Board Deliberation on Humboldt County Budget for Fiscal Year 2000-01
Action: Receive and file report, and continue deliberation to September 12, 2000. Schedule discussion of the Headwaters Fund for the meeting of September 19, 2000.
G. MATTERS INITIATED BY BOARD MEMBERS
1. Subject: Reports on Board Member Travel at County Cost and Meeting Attendance (No Action)
2. Subject: Potential or Proposed Big Box Retail Development in Humboldt County (No Action)
H. MATTER SET FOR TIME CERTAIN
1. Subject: Megram Fire Recovery Efforts
Action: Have Forestry Review Committee review and make recommendations on report of U.S. Forest Service (USFS), including resolution presented to Board on 8/22/00 (H-2). Reaffirm Board's previous position on dead and dying timber. Direct that Don Tuttle of Public Works review USFS report and propose alternatives.
I. CLOSED SESSION (No Final Action Taken)
1. Report from Prior Closed Session
2. Pursuant to Govt. Code Sect. 54957.6, Review County Position, and Instruct Designated Representa-tives on Various Forms of Compensation Provided to Represented and Unrepresented Employees
3. Report on Pending or Threatened Litigation Pursuant to Government Code Section 54956.9
4. Conference with Legal Counsel; Existing Litigation (Government Code Section 54956.9a); Arcata Readimix v. County of Humboldt; Superior Court No. CV000434
5. Conference with Legal Counsel - Initiation of Litigation Pursuant to Government Code Section 54956.9(c). (One Case)