BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
SUMMARY OF PROCEEDINGS
TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 12, 2000
Humboldt County Courthouse
Supervisors' Chambers, First Floor
825 Fifth Street, Eureka
PRESENT: Supervisors Rodoni, Woolley (portion), Neely, and Kirk
ABSENT: Supervisor Dixon (Attending State Board of Forestry meeting in Sacramento)
Supervisor Woolley (Portion: Attending State Coastal Commission meeting in Eureka)
All listed actions were taken by a unanimous vote, or by Order of the Chair.
A. OPENING CEREMONIES
1. Salute to the Flag
2. Invocation by Pastor Dan Yokum of the New Hope Church of God in McKinleyville
B. AGENDA ADDITION
Non-Agenda Item--Board of Supervisors
1. Subject: Indian Island Enhancement Plan (Supervisor Neely)
Action: Send letter to Chairman of California Coastal Conservancy in support of the application of Northern California Indian Development Council, Inc. for funding through the California Coastal Conservancy for development of the Indian Island Enhancement Plan.
C. CONSENT CALENDAR
1. Subject: Request for Supplemental Budget ($4,035) for Auditor-Controller's Phone Upgrade
Action: Approve request.
Board of Supervisors
2. Subject: Transmission of Disease Through Contaminated Needle Use (Supervisor Dixon)
Action: Extend local state of emergency until September 26, 2000.
3. Subject: District Attorney Spousal Abuser Prosecution Program for Fiscal Year 2000-2001
Action: Adopt Resolution No. 2000-77.
4. Subject: Agreement with Chris Winsor Consulting for Development and Implementation of Automated Customer/Client Tracking and Referral System
Action: Approve agreement.
5. Subject: Managed Mental Health Care for Medi-Cal Beneficiaries (Fiscal Year 2000-2001)
Action: Approve contract with Jerryl Lynn Rubin M.D.
6. Subject: NNA/Drug Medi-Cal Contract with State Department of Alcohol and Drug Programs
Action: Amend contract for an encumbered amount decrease of $111,283.
7. Subject: Amendment to Contract with California Public Employees' Retirement System
Action: Amend contract by adopting Ordinance No. 2224.
8. Subject: Reallocation of Substance Abuse Counselor Position from 1.0 FTE to .75 FTE
Action: Approve reallocation.
9. Subject: Proposed Vacation of a Portion of Beach Road in Shelter Cove (Road No. 4A120)
Action: Schedule public hearing date at least 30 days from September 12, 2000.
C. CONSENT CALENDAR (Continued)
10. Subject: Liability and Workers Compensation Claims Report for April, May, and June 2000
Action: Review, receive, and file.
11. Subject: Operation and Equipment Contract with State Department of Boating & Waterways
Action: Approve contract and associated supplemental budget of $25,000.
12. Subject: Amendment to Memorandum of Understanding with Humboldt State University Foundation and the Center for Applied Social Analysis and Education
Action: Approve amendment pertaining to the MIOCR program.
Social Services (DSS)
13. Subject: Provision of Stage I Child Care Services to All DSS-Referred CalWORKs Recipients Action: Approve agreement with the Humboldt Child Care Council.
D. PUBLIC APPEARANCES--9:05 A.M.
Bob Higgons submitted a letter into the record entitled County Building Fees/General Fund Budget. Jan Kraepellien encouraged the Board to consider the use of border collies in addressing the problem with deer on the runways at County airports. He also submitted a handout on KEET TV's Living Biography program.
E. SPECIAL PRESENTATIONS
1. Subject: Declaring September 16, 2000, California Coastal Cleanup Day (Supervisor Woolley)
Action: Adopt proclamation.
F. DEPARTMENT REPORTS
1. Subject: Change Orders Over $10,000 on Public Works Projects (if required)
Action: Approve change orders as recommended by Public Works.
2. Subject: Advertisement or Award of Public Works Projects (if required)
Action: Take action as required (if necessary).
County Administrative Office
3. Subject: Board Deliberation on Humboldt County Budget for Fiscal Year 2000-01
Action: Send a letter to the Arcata, Redway, and Weaverville offices of the California Highway Patrol requesting funding assistance for the Sheriff's Citizens on Patrol program. Continue deliberation on said budget to the meeting of September 19, 2000.
G. MATTERS INITIATED BY BOARD MEMBERS
1. Subject: Reports on Board Member Travel at County Cost and Meeting Attendance (No Action)
2. Subject: Potential or Proposed Big Box Retail Development in Humboldt County (No Action)
3. Subject: Possible Reduction of Air Service at Arcata/Eureka Airport--McKinleyville (Supervisor Neely)
Action: Reschedule for the meeting of September 19, 2000.
H. CLOSED SESSION (No Action Taken)
1. Report from Prior Closed Session
2. Pursuant to Government Code Section 54957.6 for the Purpose of Reviewing the County's Position, and Instructing its Designated Representatives with Respect to the Various Forms of Compensation Provided to the County's Represented and Unrepresented Employees
3. Report on Pending or Threatened Litigation Pursuant to Government Code Section 54956.9
I. PUBLIC HEARINGS--1:30 P.M.
Community Development Services
1. Subject: Moss Parcel Map Subdivision; Request for Stay of Expiration Date Pursuant to California Government Code section 66452.6(c); Trinidad Area; Case Nos. PMS-04-95XA/CDP-18-97XA; File No. APN 515-131-06
Action: Grant petition for stay of time for period not to exceed length of litigation.
2. Subject: Moss Parcel Map Subdivision Extension Appeal; Trinidad Area; Case Nos. PMS-04-95XA/CDP-18-97XA; File No. APN 515-131-06
Action: This appeal was withdrawn by the applicant/appellant. Therefore, the Board directed that appeal fees be refunded.
Clerk of the Board