BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
SUMMARY OF PROCEEDINGS
TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 26, 2000
Humboldt County Courthouse
Supervisors' Chambers, First Floor
825 Fifth Street, Eureka
PRESENT: Supervisors Dixon, Rodoni, Woolley, Neely, and Kirk (All Present)
All listed actions were taken by a unanimous vote, or by Order of the Chair.
A. OPENING CEREMONIES
1. Salute to the Flag
2. Invocation by Pastor Dan Price of the First Presbyterian Church of Eureka
B. AGENDA ADDITIONS AND/OR DELETIONS
C. CONSENT CALENDAR
Board of Supervisors
1. Subject: Transmission of Disease Through Contaminated Needle Use (Supervisor Dixon)
Action: Extend local state of emergency until October 10, 2000.
2. Subject: Celebration for Restoration of Cape Mendocino Lighthouse (Supervisor Rodoni)
Action: Adopt resolution of commendation for Shelter Cove Society.
3. Subject: Request for a Change in Operation for The Iguana in Redway (Supervisor Rodoni)
Action: Send letter of support to Karen Locken, Investigator for Alcohol Beverage Control.
4. Subject: Transfer of $5,800 to Extra-Help Line Item (Supervisor Neely)
Action: Approve transfer of $5,800 from Contingencies.
5. Subject: Resignation from the Workforce Investment Board (Supervisor Dixon)
Action: Send letter of appreciation to Carl Schoenhofer.
6. Subject: Resolution of Commendation for Captain William F. Honsal (Supervisor Rodoni)
Action: Adopt resolution in recognition of 30 years of service to the EPD.
7. Subject: Ordinance Amending Humboldt County Code (Smoking in County Buildings)
Action: Introduce ordinance by title, waive first reading, and set for adoption.
8. Subject: Cost-Reimbursement Subagreement with the Redwood Community Action Agency
Action: Approve cost-reimbursement subagreement.
9. Subject: Allocation of Positions for Children and Families Commission
Action: Allocate a Children and Families Commission Director and Executive Secretary.
10. Subject: Allocation of a Probation Officer I/II Position and Supplemental Budget ($18,476)
Action: Approve request for Mentally Ill Offender Crime Reduction Grant.
11. Subject: Preventive Health Care for the Aging Services and Supplemental Budget ($3,854)
Action: Approve memorandum of understanding with Del Norte County.
12. Subject: Construction of Rehabilitation and Widening on Redwood Drive
Action: Award project to Mercer Fraser Company of Eureka.
13. Subject: Storage Space at the Arcata/Eureka Airport (Re-Roof Leased Building)
Action: Amend agreement with Murphy's Market dated March 21, 2000.
14. Subject: Lease for Additional Space in the Arcata/Eureka Airport Terminal
Action: Approve amendment to the lease with Horizon Air.
15. Subject: Request to Adopt the Classification of Administrative Services Manager, and to Reallocate Three Staff Services Manager Positions to the New Classification
Action: Approve request.
D. PUBLIC APPEARANCES--9:05 A.M. (None)
E. SPECIAL PRESENTATIONS
1. Subject: Retirement from the District Attorney's Office (Supervisor Neely)
Action: Adopt resolution of commendation for Pat Hiett.
2. Subject: Declaring October 2000 as Buy Local Month (Supervisor Woolley)
Action: Adopt proclamation.
F. DEPARTMENT REPORTS
1. Subject: Change Orders Over $10,000 on Public Works Projects (None Required)
2. Subject: Advertisement or Award of Public Works Projects (None Required)
3. Subject: Communications Supplemental Budget for Tower Studies ($12,500)
Action: Approve supplemental budget.
G. MATTERS INITIATED BY BOARD MEMBERS
1. Subject: Possible Reduction of Air Service at Arcata/Eureka Airport (Supervisor Neely)
Action: Withdraw from agenda.
2. Subject: Reports on Board Member Travel at County Cost and Meeting Attendance (No Action)
3. Subject: Potential or Proposed Big Box Retail Development in Humboldt County (No Action)
H. MATTERS SET FOR TIME CERTAIN
9:30 a.m.--Board of Supervisors
1. Subject: Proposed Humboldt County Medical Marijuana Ordinance (Supervisor Woolley)
Action: Release attorney-client memorandum to general public and implementation committee.
2. Subject: Resolution for Adoption of the Humboldt County Budget for Fiscal Year 2000-01
Action: Adopt Resolution No. 2000-81.
3. Subject: Resolution Fixing the Tax Rates for Fiscal Year 2000-01
Action: Adopt Resolution No. 2000-82.
4. Subject: Resolution Adopting Special District Budgets for Fiscal Year 2000-01
Action: Adopt Resolution No. 2000-83.
I. CLOSED SESSION (None)