BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
SUMMARY OF PROCEEDINGS
TUESDAY, JUNE 5, 2001
Humboldt County Courthouse
Supervisors' Chambers, First Floor
825 Fifth Street, Eureka
PRESENT: Supervisors Smith, Woolley, Neely, and Kirk
ABSENT: Supervisor Rodoni
All listed actions were taken by a unanimous vote, or by Order of the Chair.
A. SALUTE TO THE FLAG AND MOMENT OF PRIVATE REFLECTION
B. AGENDA ADDITIONS AND/OR DELETIONS (None)
C. CONSENT CALENDAR
1. Subject: Transfer of $173,727 from Contingencies to General Fund Interest Expense
Action: Approve transfer.
Board of Supervisors
2. Subject: Declaring August 18, 2001, Bridge-Fest Day in Bridgeville (Supervisor Rodoni)
Action: Adopt resolution.
3. Subject: Disease Transmission Through Contaminated Needle Use (Supervisor Woolley)
Action: Extend local state of emergency until June 19, 2001.
4. Subject: SB 226 (Chesbro)--County Medical Services Program (Supervisor Woolley)
Action: Send support letters to Gov. Davis, Sen. Chesbro, and V. Strom-Martin.
5. Subject: Funding to Restore Yurok Tribe's Old Ranger Station--Klamath (Supervisor Kirk)
Action: Send letter of support to Dennis Galvin, National Park Service Director.
6. Subject: Orleans 53rd Annual Old Timers' Parade and Picnic (Supervisor Kirk)
Action: Adopt resolution for June 17, 2001.
Clerk of the Board
7. Subject: Reappointments to Big Lagoon Community Services District's Board of Directors
Action: Reappoint Sara Kavich and Patrick Cleary.
8. Subject: Appointment to the Petrolia Fire Protection District's Board of Directors
Action: Appoint Rex Rathbun.
9. Subject: Approval of the Board Orders from the Meeting of May 22, 2001
Action: Approve the Board Orders
Community Development Services
10. Subject: Grant Funding for Updating the Mad River Program EIR for Gravel Mining
Action: Submit application to State Fish & Game's Fisheries Restoration Grants Program.
County Administrative Office
11. Subject: Funds for State-Mandated Cost-Claiming Services
Action: Approve supplemental budget of $20,000.
12. Subject: Cost-Reimbursement Subagreement with the College of the Redwoods Action: Approve subagreement to provide training as Nurse Assistants, Licensed Vocational Nurses, and Registered Nurses.
13. Subject: Cost-Reimbursement Subagreement with the Area I Agency on Aging
Action: Approve subagreement to provide Basic In-Home Caregiver training.
14. Subject: Cost-Reimbursement Subagreement with Humboldt Regional Occupational Program
Action: Approve subagreement for providing Nurse Assistant certification training.
15. Subject: Welfare-to-Work Formula Grant; 2001 Local Plan Adjustment/Modification
Action: Approve Welfare-to-Work Formula Grant Program Plan modifications.
C. CONSENT CALENDAR (Continued)
Health & Human Services
16. Subject: Temporary Increase in Salary for Leonard Rankin, Substance Abuse Counselor II
Action: Approve temporary increase as outlined in agenda submittal.
17. Subject: Donations to Mental Health Revenue Account ($3,000)
Action: Transfer $3,000 to Mental Health Trusts, Account No. 1170-706-070
18. Subject: Supplemental Budget for High Risk Prevention Case Management Program ($3,000)
Action: Approve supplemental budget.
19. Subject: Supplemental Budget for Mental Health Pharmacy ($100,000)
Action: Approve supplemental budget.
20. Subject: Purchase of Computer System for the Child Health and Disability Prevention Program
Action: Approve purchase.
21. Subject: Report Showing Negative Impacts of Smoking on County Residents and Institutions
Action: Approve subcontract with Dan Chandler for developing said report..
22. Subject: Funding from U. S. Environmental Protection Agency for Pollution Prevention Grant
Action: Accept funding of $10,000.
23. Subject: North Coast Project LEAN Mini-Grants for Fiscal Year 2000-2001; Budget Unit 436
Action: Approve contracts with Manila Community Services District, Del Norte Unified School District, and Redwood Empire Food Bank.
24. Subject: Drug Testing by the Public Health Laboratory for the Drug Court Program
Action: Approve standard agreement with the State Department of Justice.
25. Subject: Supplemental Budget for Leaders Encouraging Activity and Nutrition (LEAN) Program
Action: Approve supplemental budget ($700)--from video and cookbook sales.
26. Subject: Report on the Winter 2000-2001 Shelter
Action: Receive and file report.
27. Subject: Donation of 2001 Chevrolet Tracker 4x4 to County Motor Pool
Action: Approve donation for capitalization and maintenance purposes.
28. Subject: Job Services to All Eligible CalWORKs Recipients Referred by Social Services
Action: Approve agreement with the Employment Development Department.
29. Subject: Debra Hill--Correction to Personnel Action of April 24, 2001; No. C-19
Action: Correct previous Board Order as recommended by the Personnel Director.
30. Subject: Grants (2) Totaling $57,500 for the Library's Automation Project
Action: Accept grants from the California State Library and the Library of California.
31. Subject: Contract to Provide for Services as LPS Conservator for Del Norte County Residents
Action: Approve agreement with Del Norte Mental Health Department.
C. CONSENT CALENDAR (Continued)
32. Subject: North and South Hammond Tract Monument Preservation Fund Surveys
Action: Award North Hammond Tract services agreements to Kelly-O'Hern Associates. Award South Hammond Tract services agreement to Hunt Surveying and Forestry.
33. Subject: Award of Contract for Rehabilitation and Widening on Elk River Road
Action: Award contract to Parnum Paving, Inc.
34. Subject: Request to Declare Nine Vehicles as Surplus; And Authorize Disposition by Purchasing
Action: Approve requests, and deposit sales revenue in Motor Pool Fund.
35. Subject: Construction of Storm Damage Repairs to Wilder Ridge Road and Landergen Road
Action: Approve plans and specifications, and hold big opening on June 26, 2001.
36. Subject: Courthouse Construction Fund Transfer from Contingencies for $278,159; General Justice Fund Transfer from Contingencies for $125,680; Transfers to Provide Funding for the Courthouse Landscape Project and the Courthouse Remodel Architectural Agreement
Action: Approve the transfers.
37. Subject: Summary Vacation of County Public Service Easement; Werner Subdivision; McKinleyville
Action: Approve the summary vacation by adopting Resolution No. 01-43.
38. Subject: Award of Contract for Ramp Extension and Taxiway Paving at Arcata Airport
Action: Award the project to W. Jaxon Baker, Inc.
39. Subject: Construction of Overlay Paving on Oak Street, Avalon Drive, and Hospital Road
Action: Pull from agenda.
40. Subject: Lease for New Parking Requirements and Landing Fees--Arcata-Eureka Airport Terminal
Action: Approve amendment to lease agreement with Horizon Air Industries, Inc.
41. Subject: Camino Way Subdivision for JLF Construction, Inc.; APN 511-421-06, McKinleyville Area
Action: Declare subdivision agreement as complete, and authorize release of security.
42. Subject: Status of Trinity River Technical Advisory Committee
Action: Receive report.
43. Subject: Donation of One Portable Hog Pen from Jim Taylor, Owner of Taylor Livestock Farms
Action: Accept donation for use by Sheriff's Work Alternative Program hog farm project.
D. PUBLIC APPEARANCES--9:05 A.M.
Brian Finck and Marilyn Oberg expressed concerns about the proposed construction of a Walgreen's at the corner of Harrison Avenue and Harris Street in Eureka. Kirk Girard, Director of Humboldt County Community Development Services, explained the application and notification process.
E. DEPARTMENT REPORTS
1. Subject: Contract Change Orders Over $10,000 (None)
2. Subject: Overlay Paving on Redwood Drive and Redway Drive; Contract No. 990701
Action: Award contract to Mercer Fraser Company of Eureka.
3. Subject: Humboldt County's Financial Statements for Fiscal Year Ended June 30, 2000
Action: Receive and file the audit report of Bartig, Basler, and Ray, CPA's.
Clerk of the Board
4. Subject: Appointment of One Member to the Orick Design Control Committee
Action: Affirm existence of committee, and appoint Kimberly Hufford.
F. MATTERS INITIATED BY BOARD MEMBERS
1. Subject: Reports on Board Member Travel at County Cost and Meeting Attendance (No Action)
2. Subject: Potential or Proposed Big Box Retail Development in Humboldt County (No Report)
G. MATTERS SET FOR TIME CERTAIN
10:00 a.m.--Supervisor Kirk
1. Subject: Presentation from Willow Creek, McKinleyville, and Arcata Chambers of Commerce
Action: Hear the presentations regarding expenditure of transient occupancy tax.
H. CLOSED SESSION
1. Report from Prior Closed Session (if required)
2. Pursuant to Govt. Code Sect. 54957.6, Review County's Position, and Instruct Designated Representatives with Respect to the Various Forms of Compensation Provided to County's Represented and Unrepresented Employees (if required)
3. Report on Pending or Threatened Litigation Pursuant to Govt. Code Sect. 54956.9 (if required)
4. It is the Board of Supervisors' Intention to Meet in Closed Session to Consider Public Employee Performance Evaluation for Position of Clerk of the Board Pursuant to Govt. Code Sect. 54954.5
(Reschedule for the meeting of June 12, 2001.)
5. Conference with Legal Counsel--Anticipated Litigation Pursuant to Government Code Section 54956.9(b) (Three Cases) (No final action taken.)
6. Conference with Legal Counsel--Initiation of Litigation Pursuant to Government Code Section 54956.9(c); (Two Cases) (One case continued to June 12, 2001; the other case had no final action taken.)