County Administrative Officer
||TAMARA C. FALOR
Clerk of the Board
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
SUMMARY OF PROCEEDINGS
TUESDAY, JANUARY 8, 2002REGULAR SESSION
Humboldt County Courthouse
Supervisors’ Chambers, First Floor
825 Fifth Street, Eureka
Supervisors Smith, Rodoni, Woolley, Neely, and Kirk (All Present)
All listed actions were taken by a unanimous vote, or by Order of
A. OPENING CEREMONIES
Salute to the Flag and Moment of Reflection
B. AGENDA ADDITIONS AND/OR DELETIONS (None)
C. CONSENT CALENDAR
1. Subject: Additional Funding of $2,000 to Offset
the Local Costs Incurred in the Enforcement of the California Organic Foods Act
as Related to Registrations/Renewals, Spot Inspections, Soil and Tissue
Sampling, and Complaint Investigations
additional funds from State Department of Food & Agriculture.
2. Subject: Extend Agreement with State Department of Food
& Agriculture to June 30, 2002
agreement for Weed Management Area funding.
Board of Supervisors
3. Subject: Declaring Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
in Humboldt County (Supervisor Woolley)
4. Subject: Letter of Support for
North Coast Emergency Medical Services’ Multi-Casualty Incidents/Disaster
Preparedness Proposal (Supervisor Woolley)
Authorize Chair to sign letter of support.
Reauthorize Temporary Assistance for Needy Families Program (Supervisor
Action: Send letters of support to
Senators Feinstein and Boxer, and to Rep. Thompson.
Disease Transmission Through Contaminated Needle Use (Supervisor Neely)
Action: Extend local state of emergency until January 22, 2002.
7. Subject: Perfect Attendance at Eureka Adult Day Health
Services (Supervisor Neely)
achievement certificates for J. Isenhardt, K. Lucas, L. Turley, J. Law, C.
Arias, and C. Tallant.
8. Subject: Redwood Empire
Council of Boy Scouts of America--Distinguished Citizen of the Year (Supervisor
Action: Adopt resolution in recognition of
Dr. Theodore W. Loring receiving said award.
Children and Families Commission
9. Subject: Request to Establish Agency Endowment Fund
Action: Approve request.
Clerk of the Board
10. Subject: Approval of the Board Orders from the
Meeting of December 18, 2001
Action: Approve the Board
11. Subject: Appointment of Robin Burdick to
the In-Home Supportive Services Advisory Committee
Approve appointment with term to expire on June 30, 2004.
Subject: Reappointments and Appointments to the Emergency Medical Care
Action: Reappoint D. Boileau, and appoint D.
Gunderson, D. Larkin, C. Watkins, and D. McMahon.
13. Subject: Approval of the Board Orders from the Meeting
of December 11, 2001
Action: Approve the Board Orders.
Community Development Services
14. Subject: Waiver of 960-Hour Limit for Extra-Help
Employee Margaret Candrian
Action: Approve waiver up
to 1800 hours..
15. Subject: Waiver of 960-Hours Limit
for Extra-Help Employee Joshua Dorris
waiver up to 1,920 hours.
County Administrative Office
16. Subject: Request to Designate Kimberly Kerr, Deputy
County Administrative Officer, as Primary Representative to the California State
Association of Counties’ Board of Directors for Excess Insurance Authority,
and to Appoint Loretta Nickolaus, as Alternate
17. Subject: Request to Close Fund
1140, Refugee Aid, and Transfer Balance to Fund 1110 (General A)
Action: Direct the Auditor-Controller to close said fund.
18. Subject: Annual Resolutions Appointing a New Chair
and Vice Chair for Board of Supervisors
Resolution Nos. 02-1 through 02-4.
Reallocation of Legal Secretary I/II Position to Legal Accounting
Action: Approve reallocation.
20. Subject: Waiver of 960-Hour Limit for Extra-Help
Employee Dennis Marshall
Action: Approve waiver up to
Health and Human Services--Mental Health Branch
21. Subject: Request to Adjust Institute for Mental
Diseases and Bed-Hold Rates
Action: Approve request by
amending contract with Merced Manor for Fiscal Year 01-02.
Health and Human Services--Public Health Branch
22. Subject: Human Immunodeficiency Virus Early
Intervention Program for Fiscal Year 2001-2002
Approve subcontracts with Open Door Clinic and Redwoods Rural Health Center.
23. Subject: Amendment to Medi-Cal
Administrative Activities, Contract No. 01-15385
Amend contract to include Article VIII, Section L, regarding Union Organizing.
24. Subject: Waiver of 960-Hour Limit for Extra-Help
Employee Maureen Harrington
Action: Approve waiver up
to 1,825 hours.
25. Subject: Interagency Agreement for
Medi-Cal Targeted Case Management (TCM)
Approve agreement with Making Headway, Inc.
26. Subject: Medi-Cal TCM Interagency Agreement with
Humboldt Senior Resource Center
Health and Human Services
27. Subject: Funding for the Promoting Safe and Stable
Families Program and the Chafee Foster Care
Independence Voucher Program
Action: Ratify letters to Senators Boxer and
Feinstein in support of S. 1503.
28. Subject: Supplemental Budget of $1,853 for Library
and Automation Project Donations
29. Subject: Supplemental Budget
of $3170.66 for Library Donations
30. Subject: Amendment to Compensation Plan for
Management and Confidential Employees and for Elected and Appointed County
Action: Adopt Resolution No. 02-5, allowing
up to 520 hours of voluntary unpaid furlough per year.
31. Subject: Request for Substitute Appointment for
Position of Probation Officer I/II, Position No. 001
Approve request until William Naulty, Probation Officer I/II, returns to his
32. Subject: Supplemental Budget for Forest
Service Funding for Local Projects (HR 2389)--Probation Environmental
Preservation Project Program ($79,613)
allocation of Probation Officer I/II position, establish Budget Unit 285, direct
preparation of Participation Agreement with the Six Rivers National Forest and
the Humboldt County Office of Education, and authorize purchase of a
33. Subject: Contract to
Establish Juvenile Assigned Work Service Program Work Sites on Federal Lands
Action: Approve contract with the Six Rivers National Forest.
34. Subject: Renovation and Remodel of Juvenile Hall,
Project No. 170234
Action: Authorize Public Works
Director to sign Change Order Nos. 4.0, 5.0 and 6.0.
Remodel/Addition for the Healthy Moms’ Program, Project No. 431000
Action: Authorize Public Works Director to sign Change Order
36. Subject: Overflight Easement Executed by
Terri Bryan, Brett Visser and Carol Visser
Accept overflight easement for the benefit of the Arcata-Eureka Airport.
37. Subject: Proposition 42--Transportation Funding: Sales
and Use Tax Revenues
Action: Support the passage of
Proposition 42 by adopting Resolution No. 02-6.
38. Subject: Request to Establish Steam Generator
Fixed-Asset Account ($9,525)
Action: Approve request.
D. PUBLIC APPEARANCES--9:05 A.M.
Mr. Daniel Pierce, a candidate for Fifth District Supervisor,
said that Sheriff’s deputies entered his house on November 16, 2001, with
loaded weapons in response to a burglary. They responded to the wrong address,
and no apology has been given to him. Pertaining to the marijuana card system,
he said that there is no communication between Public Health and the Sheriff. He
concluded his comments by saying that the Planning Department is "stifling
Presentation from California Department of Child Support Services (Supervisor
Action: Receive presentation, and take
F. DEPARTMENT REPORTS
1. Subject: Change Orders Over $10,000 on Public Works
2. Subject: Advertisement or
Award of Public Works Projects (None)
3. Subject: Letter of Support for the District Attorney’s
Efforts to Seek an Override of Governor Davis’ Veto of Assembly Bill 960, and
Continued Support from the Environmental Protection Agency
Authorize letter of support to State Senator Chesbro and Assemblywoman
G. MATTERS INITIATED BY BOARD MEMBERS
1. Subject: Reports on Board Member Travel at County Cost
and Meeting Attendance (No Action)
Potential or Proposed Big Box Retail Development in Humboldt County (No
H. CLOSED SESSION
1. It is the Intention of the Board of Supervisors to Meet in
Closed Session to Consider the Public Employee Appointment for the Position of Director
of Child Support Services Pursuant to California Government Code 54954.5
(Appointed Jim Kucharek.)
2. Report on Pending or
Threatened Litigation Pursuant to Government Code Section 54956.9 (No final