The Humboldt County Commission on the Status of Women was formed in March of
1971 as an advisory committee to the Board of Supervisors. It was the second
such group in California, preceded only by Sacramento, and was one of the first
such women's groups in the nation.
- advises the Humboldt County Board of Supervisors on the status of women in
- acts as an information and networking agency for federal, state and local
- provides consultation and advice to public and private entities working to
develop equitable programs to meet the special needs of women.
- promotes awareness of multifaceted roles for women, by planning study
groups, workshops, conferences or honors events. These have included employment
workshops, a Women's Fair, an Economics of Being a Woman series, Women's History
observances, and Women of Achievement awards.
The CSW consists of ten members. Each supervisorial district is represented
and five members serve "at-large." Terms are four years, with five
appointments expiring each second year.
Prospective members should expect
to attend regular monthly meetings, be willing to work on one or more
subcommittee, and do one or more of the following types of activities, as
- Plan activities relating to CSW annual goals
- Prepare news releases or public service announcements
- Present talks to organizations, schools, etc.
- Write letters in response to requests
- Serve as an officer of the Commission
Meetings are held monthly on the third Tuesday of the month at 6:00 p.m.
Please email one of the officers to find out the location and receive an
agenda. The public is welcome to attend.
Call Julie Millard at (707) 822-2502 for more information.
How can I help?
Join the Commission! The Commission is made up of volunteers,
participating as a member is the best way to help the Commission further the
cause of women in Humboldt County.
Any person wishing to present relevant concerns or complaints is urged to
attend a meeting of the Commission. You may also present your concerns in
The CSW is unfunded, accepting donations to support
efforts that assist the women of Humboldt County.