County of Humboldt - Commission on the Status of Women

CSW Home Page
. More Information 
Commission Members
Commission Vacancies
Links for Women
Contact us




Frequently Asked Questions


The Humboldt County Commission on the Status of Women was formed in March of 1971 as an advisory committee to the Board of Supervisors. It was the second such group in California, preceded only by Sacramento, and was one of the first such women's groups in the nation.

 How can I help?


top of pagePurpose

The Commission:

  • advises the Humboldt County Board of Supervisors on the status of women in the County.
  • acts as an information and networking agency for federal, state and local women's groups.
  • provides consultation and advice to public and private entities working to develop equitable programs to meet the special needs of women.
  • promotes awareness of multifaceted roles for women, by planning study groups, workshops, conferences or honors events. These have included employment workshops, a Women's Fair, an Economics of Being a Woman series, Women's History observances, and Women of Achievement awards.

top of pageMembers

The CSW consists of ten members. Each supervisorial district is represented and five members serve "at-large." Terms are four years, with five appointments expiring each second year.

Prospective members should expect to attend regular monthly meetings, be willing to work on one or more subcommittee, and do one or more of the following types of activities, as appropriate:

  • Plan activities relating to CSW annual goals
  • Prepare news releases or public service announcements
  • Present talks to organizations, schools, etc.
  • Write letters in response to requests
  • Serve as an officer of the Commission

top of pageMeetings

Meetings are held monthly on the third Tuesday of the month at 6:00 p.m.  Please email one of the officers to find out the location and receive an agenda.  The public is welcome to attend.

 Call Julie Millard at (707) 822-2502 for more information.

top of pageHow can I help?

Join the Commission!  The Commission is made up of volunteers, participating as a member is the best way to help the Commission further the cause of women in Humboldt County.

Any person wishing to present relevant concerns or complaints is urged to attend a meeting of the Commission. You may also present your concerns in writing.

The CSW is unfunded, accepting donations to support efforts that assist the women of Humboldt County.