RESPONSES TO THE 1999-2000 GRAND JURY REPORT
Each year the Humboldt County Grand Jury investigates the functioning of various local government entities and produces a report of its findings and recommendations. Each government entity discussed in the report is notified of the report and is required by State statute to respond to the Presiding Judge of the Superior Court within a specified time using a limited range of responses. The responses must, by law, conform to the provisions of Penal Code, Section 933.05, as outlined below:
Section 933.05. Responses to grand jury reports
(a) For purposes of subdivision (b) of Section 933, as to each grand jury finding, the responding person or entity shall indicate one of the following:
(1) The respondent agrees with the finding.
(2) The respondent disagrees wholly or partially with the finding, in which case the response shall specify the portion of the finding that is disputed and shall include an explanation of the reasons therefor.
(b) For purposes of subdivision ( b) of Section 933, as to each grand jury recommendation, the responding person or entity shall report one of the following actions:
(1) The recommendation has been implemented, with a summary regarding the implemented action.
(2) the recommendation has not yet been implemented, but will be implemented in the future, with a time frame for implementation.
(3) The recommendation requires further analysis, with an explanation of the scope and parameters of an analysis or study, and a time frame for the matter to be prepared for discussion by the officer or head of the agency or department being investigated or reviewed, including the governing body of the public agency when applicable. This time frame shall not exceed six months from the date of publication of the grand jury report.
(4) The recommendation will not be implemented because it is not warranted or is not reasonable, with an explanation therefor.
The information that follows contains the complete annual report from the 1999-2000 Humboldt County Grand Jury, together with the responses provided by the various governmental entities addressed in the report.