Law and Public Safety


 Coroner's Office

 District Attorney
 Child Support Services
 County Counsel
 Probation Department
 Public Defender
Sheriff's Office

 Office of Emergency Services

Law & Justice
   print this page print   


Can I get free legal advice from the County Counsel?

No. The County Counsel provides legal advice to the Board of Supervisors, elected officials, and County employees for matters related to the operation and management of the County Government. The County Counsel and other attorneys in the office cannot provide legal advice to members of the public.

If you need a lawyer and do not have one, you can call Northern California Lawyer Access at (530) 272-5962.

I have suffered personal injury or property damage, which I believe was caused by the County or one of its employees. How do I go about collecting for my damages?

The process of collecting damages from the County begins with the filing of a claim with the Clerk of the Board of Supervisors, located at 825 5th Street, Room 111, Eureka, California 95501.

The law regarding claims against public entities is complex and has short deadlines. You should endeavor to present your claim without delay. For additional information, please see California Government Code Section 910, et. seq.

I would like to perfect service on the County of Humboldt. Can I serve the County Counsel?

Except for very limited circumstances where service through the County Counsel has been pre-authorized, you must serve the Clerk of the Board of Supervisors to perfect service against the County of Humboldt.

I would like to view some County records. Can I get them from the Office of the County Counsel?

The Office of the County Counsel is not the official custodian of any records of the County of Humboldt. You should inquire directly at the office or location where you believe the records are maintained.

Can I speak with Wendy Chaitin? Her name is listed on the top of the papers I received.

Wendy Chaitin is the County Counsel and her name appears on all the documents filed by anyone in the office. The person most familiar with your case is usually the person who signed the document. That person's name appears beneath Wendy Chaitin's name at the top of the document, and beneath the signature itself. If you believe you must speak with someone regarding your matter, that is the person to whom you should speak with first.

What are my rights if I've been arrested/charged with a crime?

Contact the Public Defenders Office for this information :
Phone: (707) 445-7634


Child Support Services Frequently Asked Questions [DCSS website]


Sheriff's Office Frequently Asked Questions [Sheriff website]


 California Law
 California Code of Regulations

  California Constitution
 California Building Standards Code
 California Dept. of Corrections and Rehabilitation, Victim Services