The Humboldt County Sheriff’s Office would like to remind the public that mail theft is a continuing problem, especially this time of year. Thieves steal mail from unsecured mail boxes, before and after the delivery truck arrives. The thieves are typically looking for money, blank checks, packages, personal information and credit card information. During the holidays this becomes more lucrative for the thieves due to holiday cards and packages being mailed. Some ways you can protect yourself are:
• Have a secured locking mailbox
• Use the letter slots at your post office to mail letters, a postal box or give them to a letter carrier.
• Pick up your mail promptly after delivery. Don’t leave it in your mailbox overnight.
• Don’t send cash in the mail.
• Ask your bank for “secure” checks that can’t be altered.
• Tell your post office when you’ll be out of town, so they can hold your mail until you return
• Neighborhood watch
Anyone with information for the Sheriffs Office regarding criminal activity is encouraged to call the Sheriffs Office at 707-445-7251 or the Sheriffs Office Crime Tip line at 707-268-2539.