Business License Information

Business Licenses

Business Licenses fall into one of three categories, based on factors such as location and customer traffic. If you are uncertain which license applies to your business, you may call the Tax Collector's office (707-476-2450) for more details. Be sure to fill out all supplied forms. Some may also need to complete Home Occupation Permits and/or Cottage Industry Permits provided by the Planning Department below.

Storefront License
Businesses with customer traffic.
Mobile License
Businesses conducted from a residence without customer traffic.
Special License
Businesses physically located in an incorporated area of the County or not located in Humboldt County. Also for special event vendors.

Other Forms

Home Occupation Permit and Cottage Industry Permit.
To determine if a Home Occupation Permit or a Cottage Industry Permit is required, contact the Humboldt County Planning Department at (707) 268-3729 from 8:30 am to 5:00 pm.
Forms are available from the forms section of the planning department website.
License Update
To update an existing license, complete and return the following form:
County of Humboldt Business License Update Form (Adobe PDF)

More Information

DLSE Information
A message from the California Division of Labor Standards Enforcement (DLSE).

Other Sites and Services

North Coast Small Business Development Center
The North Coast SBDC answers questions and provides counceling on business related topics. The majority of their services are free.