Division of Labor Standards Enforcement Information

Please take a moment to review the following information which is being provided in an effort to assist you in your efforts to begin your new business enterprise:

The State of California, through statutory mandates, requires that certain businesses and/or individuals obtain a license, registration or certification through the Division of Labor Standards Enforcement (DLSE) prior to commencing business and to maintain that license in good standing:

DLSE requires licenses for:

DLSE requires registration of:

DLSE provides certification of:

DLSE collects bonds for businesses engaging in:

Finally, please note that an Entertainment Work Permit is required of all minors wishing to work in the entertainment industry and any employer wishing to employ a minor in the entertainment industry is required to complete an Application of Permission to Employ a Minor in the Entertainment Industry.

Information on the licensing requirements and downloadable application forms, instructions and other documentation required to complete your application can be accessed on the DLSE website at In addition, the DLSE provides a network of 18 District Offices which can provide further assistance if necessary. To find the office closest to you, please go to DLSE website at

Good luck in your new business !!
We welcome the opportunity to assist you !!

Julie Su
Labor Commissioner