Katherine Young, MSW, Director, Social Services
Donna Wheeler, LCSW, Deputy Director
Jeri Scardina, MSW, Deputy Director
Shelley Nilsen, MSW, Deputy Director

808 E Street
Eureka, CA 95501

Adult Protective Services

Adult Protective Services (APS) provides protective services to elders (65 and older) and dependent adults (18-64) who are unable to protect their own interests or to care for themselves. The State of California provides direction and law on how counties are to meet this goal.

In Humboldt County, the Department of Health and Human Services Social Services Branch manages the APS program. The APS unit is committed to having elders, dependent adults in Humboldt County live to their highest personal potential in the least restrictive environment.

APS staff comprised of Social Workers, Public Health Nurses, Mental Health Clinicians and Vocational Assistants work together to keep elders and dependent adults safe.

Types of abuse include:
  • Assault/Battery
  • Physical or Chemical Restraint
  • Sexual Abuse
  • Improper Use of Medication
  • Neglect / Abandonment
  • Abduction
  • Financial Exploitation
  • Isolation
  • Self Neglect (Physical and Medical Care)
  • Health & Safety Hazards
  • Malnutrition / Dehydration

Once an abusive situation or event has been reported, APS staff will investigate the claim and take appropriate action for the circumstances. Working in partnership with other agencies, APS works to arrange the services necessary to resolve the current abusive situation, and protect the victim from future abuse.

The types of services provided may include:
  • Victim Advocacy
  • Counseling
  • Money Management
  • Conservatorship
  • Out-of-home Placement
  • Information & Referral

Adult Protective Services is committed to having elders and dependent adults live in a safe environment free from abuse and exploitation.

For additional information about Adult Protective Services in Humboldt County, call (707) 476-2100 or (866) 527-8614.

To report an elderly or dependent adult in an abusive situation in Humboldt County, call (707) 476-2100 or (866) 527-8614 or if after regular business hours, call (707) 445-7715.

County Home | Health & Human Services Home | Administration | Mental Health | Public Health | Social Services