Katherine Young, MSW, Director, Social Services
Donna Wheeler, LCSW, Deputy Director
Jeri Scardina, MSW, Deputy Director
Shelley Nilsen, MSW, Deputy Director
929 Koster Street
Eureka, CA 95501
Transportation Assistance Program (TAP)
The purpose of the program is to assist individuals and/or families who can be better served by relocating to a destination that provides a reconnection to family or friends or with employment opportunities that will lead to self-sufficiency. Transportation Assistance Program (TAP) provides relocation services to individuals and families that request assistance with relocation to a new place of residence. Social Services staff verifies that a friend or family member or an agency at their destination will receive and support the individual or family. Relocation services can also be provided to an individual or family if there is verification of an offer of employment with a verified start date.
To be eligible for the program an individual:
- Must be at least 18 years of age, or a child in the care of an applicant parent.
- Must provide a valid picture ID. Exceptions are allowed.
- Must not have received cash assistance from any county, state, or federal program during the same month in which the bus ticket is requested. Exceptions can be made.
- Must not have liquid resources, including cash on hand, of more than $150.
Two different tracks for TAP eligibility have been developed:
Provides relocation services to individuals and/or families who are not applicants or recipients of the county’s General Relief or CalWORKs cash assistance programs.
Provides relocation services to individuals who are applicants to or recipients of General Relief.
Transportation Assistance Program benefits include:
- A nonrefundable one-way ticket to a pre-designated location.
- Meal allowance.
- In some instances, money for fuel may be available if the driver of the vehicle is a legal driver, the vehicle is currently registered, and proof of insurance is provided. If children are traveling in the vehicle, safety seats must be properly installed.